How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Rollins Your Own Question
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Category: Pharmacy
Satisfied Customers: 769
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
Type Your Pharmacy Question Here...
Dr. C. Rollins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What drug can be used to replace Advoart and Flomax

Customer Question

What drug can be used to replace Advoart and Flomax
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Why do you want to replace these drugs?
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.
Possible replacements would be Uroxatral (alfuzosin), Cardura (doxazosin), Jalyn, Minipress (prazosin), Hytrin (terazosin), Proscar (finasteride), rapaflo. The ones in parenthesis are available in generic. Hopefully this completely answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 2 years ago.
I would agree with Dr C. Rollins on the options available.
You are currently on tamsulosin (generic Flomax) and dutasteride (generic Avodart). These two drugs are available in a combination pill called Jalyn, but Jalyn is brand name only. So, although you can substitute directly with one pill, your cost may increase because it is a brand name drug and not generic.
Both Flomax and Avodart that you are on have a long and proven history of being safe and effective. If you feel your symptoms are not being sufficiently treated, your prescriber could consider switching from Flomax (and older drug) to one of the newer medications such as Uroxatrol (alfuzosin).
If you currently see a general practitioner, I would recommend consulting a urologist.
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.
Once you have reviewed the options I posted for you please rate my answer at your convenience. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.
Please rate my answer at your convenience thanks.

Related Pharmacy Questions