DrDLove
DrDLove,
21597572

How to take prednisone pack with no dosage instructions?

I have a Prednisone pack and no instructions, how do I take it?

Can you please tell me the reason to use Prednisone?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tendinitis in my hand.

Thanks for info regarding treatment of tendinitis of hand.Oral Prednisone is usually not indicated and often cortisone injection is injected around a tendon to relieve pain. As far as pain control is concerned taking aspirin, naproxen (Alieve) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) may relieve discomfort associated with tendinitis.You can use these medications.In addition to that application of ice is beneficial, rest and overwork with effected hand is avoided.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Prednisone is what I have and forgot how to take it. Something like 5 the first day 1 every four hours, 4 the second day, 3 the third, 2 the forth, 1 the fifth and 1 the sixth etc. Does this sound correct doc ?

There are several prednisone packs on the market, but the most common is a six day pack, which usually includes 21 pills. These pills are taken 6 pills the first day, 5 pills the second day, 4 pills the third day, 3 pills the fourth day, 2 pills the fifth day, and 1 pill the sixth day. A common timing for each day is:
  • day 1 - 2 before breakfast, 1 after lunch, 1 after supper, and 2 at bedtime,
  • day 2 - 1 before breakfast, 1 after lunch, 1 after supper, and 2 at bedtime,
  • day 3 - 1 before breakfast, 1 after lunch, 1 after supper, and 1 at bedtime,
  • day 4 - 1 before breakfast, 1 after lunch, and 1 at bedtime,
  • day 5 - 1 before breakfast, and 1 at bedtime,
  • day 6 - 1 before breakfast
In reality, the pills can be taken in virtually any schedule that spreads out the medicines each day, so there can be some variation from dosepaks made by different companies.
DrDLove,
Experience: 

More about Prednisone

Prednisone is a corticosteroid that forms steroids in the body to help fight off an injury or sickness. This medication provides cortisol to individuals who have low steroid hormones.  Prednisone is often available in a liquid, tablets of different milligrams, and a concentrated liquid. The different milligrams for prednisone pack includes 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 20, and 50. However, 5 milligrams are usually prescribed to adults.

Why is prednisone pack prescribed?

• Different types of cancer
  • Serious allergic reactions
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Skin issues
  • Eye issues
  • Thyroid disease
  • Kidney disease
  • Stomach issues
  • Lupus
  • Various types of arthritis
  • HIV
  • Some individuals who develop pneumonia will be given prednisone pack along with antibiotics

Missed dose of prednisone

When taking a prednisone pack, it is generally advised not to abruptly stop taking this medication. It is advised to always talk to a doctor to discuss the side effects that can occur when the body does not produce natural steroids. Some of these adverse side effects can include fatigue, weakness, upset stomach, weight loss, and mouth sores.  When you begin taking prednisone, talk to a doctor to see what to do in the case a scheduled dose of prednisone is missed.

Prednisone side effects                

• Acne
  • Weak muscles
  • Eye bulging
  • Change in personality
  • Headache
  • Issues sleeping
  • Feeling unhappy
  • Dizziness
  • Feeling tired more often
  • Lowered sex drive
  • Sweating more
  • Heartburn
  • Hair growing faster
  • Slower healing (bruises and cuts)
  • Purple or red lines or blotches under the skin
  • Irregular or no menstrual cycle
  • Fragile or thinning skin
  • Mood swings are more severe  

More common serious side effects

• Vision problems
  • Pain, redness or swelling in the eye
  • Fever, sore throat, chills and other signs of infection
  • Seizures
  • Depression
  • Confusion
  • Tightening or twitching muscles
  • Uncontrollable hand shaking
  • Tingling, burning or numbness in the hands, faces, arms, legs, or feet
  • Upset stomach/vomiting
  • Becoming lightheaded
  • Weight gain
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Pain or Stomach swelling
  • Trouble breathing or swallowing
  • Rash
  • Hives
  • Itching