Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

What happens if you take two Claritin 24 hour tablets?

Customer Question
My son took two Claritin...

My son took two Claritin 24 hour tablets. He is 16ys old and weighs about 169 pounds. Should I take him to the emergency room? How concerned should I be?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/13/2012
Pharmacist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer. Is he having any symptoms? If not, he will likely be fine. I don't anticipate any problems from this. If you have a follow up questions, please ask.

Pharmacist: Dr. B Young, Pharmacist replied 5 years ago
Dr. B Young
Dr. B Young, Pharmacist

Depending on the exact product he took, there is probably little concern. If it is regular Claritin 24 hour (loratadine 10 mg) then there is no concern at all. A onetime doubling of the dose will result in excessive tiredness and lethargy. He may also experience dry mouth, constipation, trouble urinating, and dry eyes. In this case he should just lie down for a nap or for the evening and see how he feels in the morning. When the tiredness wears off, he's good to go.

Alternatively, if he took Claritin D 24 hours (loratadine 10 mg with pseudoehpederine 240 mg) then there is more concern. The pseudoephederine will increase his blood pressure and heart rate. In this case, if he experiences chest pain, trouble breathing, or a severe headache you should call your 24-hour nurse line. He may need to be seen at urgent care. These side effects are unlikely, however, in an otherwise healthy 16-year-old boy.

If he has other chronic conditions let me know. They may factor in.

Dr. B Young
Dr. B Young, Pharmacist
Dr. B Young
Dr. B Young
Dr. B Young, Pharmacist