Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What is the difference between Oxyxontin 20mg and percocet…

Customer Question
What is the difference between...
What is the difference between Oxyxontin 20mg and percocet 5mg/apap? My dr just switched me over from the percocet to the oxycontin so that I don't kill my liver and so I don't have to take so many percocet pills (2 every 4 hours). Let me give you some background too...I have a bleeding disorder that in the last 6 months has gotten worse and has started to cause bleeding to occur in between joints and in my spine. I also have advanced arthritis in my spine. These things cause severe pain and that's why I'm on the meds. I am 25years old, 120lbs, 5'9" Again my main question is if I will get the same pain relief from the 20mg oxycontin 20mg as I have been getting from the (2) 5mg percocets every 4 hours. I just started taking the oxycontin today and am supposed to take it every 12hours. I have to go to work now, so please leave a detailed reponse and if it is thorough enough, I WILL include a bonus. Also, if you could tell me if combining oxycontin and neurontin is ok as my dr is recomending?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
6/28/2010
Pharmacist: Dave, Pharmacist replied 8 years ago
Dave
Dave, Pharmacist
Customer

Thank you for your question. Looking at your percocet (oxycodone/acetaminophen) use every 4 hours would equal about 60 mg/day of oxycodone. So 20mg twice daily of oxycontin seems reasonable and appropriate. In fact, your pain control may improve with using the controlled release formulation (oxycontin) versus the immediate-release (oxycodone/acetaminophen). The more consistent you are with taking the oxycontin, the better since it can only work if you take it as prescribed.

Long term use of acetaminophen can be harmful to your liver as you pointed out so the change to controlled-release formulation (oxycontin) is a good move. You could ask your prescriber if he/she is ok with you using the percocet as needed or switch to pure oxycodone alone for increased pain, if needed.

Finally, make sure you are aware of possibility of having constipation which may be more apparent now that you are on oxycontin.

Hope this was helpful! If you are happy with my answer, please don't forget to click the green "accept" button. I wish you all the best!
Could you also please answer the second part of the question too? My doctor is planning to start me on Neurontin (gabapentin) this friday. Will this affect the relief of my oxycontin, and is it ok to use together?
Customer

Glad to help further. Yes, it is possible that using OxyContin in place of percocet may improve your pain control. In addition, using Neurontin would be additive (more helpful) when used together with OxyContin. They are ok to be used together, but just be careful with starting Neurontin too fast. If so, you may experience side effects like sedation and sleepiness. I recommend taking either 300mg at bedtime to start and work up to 300mg three times daily. Your doctor is likely on the right path with these changes, I am hopeful these changes will be positive for you.

Hope this additional information was helpful. I wish you all the best!