Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

How can I get prescribed to pain medication without going to…

Customer Question
How can I get prescribed...
How can I get prescribed to pain medication without going to a doctor? I don't have insurance and it just makes it real hard for me to get the medication I need for all the pain I am in.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
6/25/2010
Pharmacist: Dave, Pharmacist replied 8 years ago
Dave
Dave, Pharmacist
Greetings! Thank you for the question.

Legally you cannot be prescribed a controlled substance type of pain medication without seeing an authorized prescriber, but I assume you already know this. There are other drugs that you can buy over the counter (ibuprofen, Tylenol) without a prescription but sometimes these are not "strong enough" for all types of pain. My best suggestion is that if the pain becomes unbearable, you could go to an ER for uncontrolled pain. Another option is a free health clinic who could prescribe you something. Many communities have these types of clinics and they are often associated with a church or other community based organizations. I don't recommend buying from internet or obtaining from a friend, both options could be dangerous.

Hope you get to feeling better! I am happy to help further if needed. I wish you all the best. If you hare happy with my response, don't forget to click the green "accept" button.