Nathan, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 20yrs experience of working on a wide variety of vehicles
27720961

I HAVE GOT PEUGOT1.4, ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT IS ON SCNNER

Customer Question

HI
I HAVE GOT PEUGOT(###) ###-####1.4, ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT IS ON SCNNER SHOWING SPEED SENSOR. BUT THERES NO SPEED SENSOR ON TOP OF GEAR BOX UNDER AIR FILTER NOR ON TOP OF OS DRIVE SHAFT. ANY IDEA??
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Welcome to ja.com.

I hope I can help you today. I just need to ask you some questions first so as to answer you better.

Can you tell me if your speedo is working correctly or is it jumping?

Also check your rev counter, is this working correctly?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
speedo not working at all and rav counter is working ok. fault code I am getting is PO500
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

OK. The speed sensor is built into the abs sensor on one of the front wheels. From memory it is the passenger's side abs sensor. Now, the quickest way to check which sensor is at fault would be to put a diagnostic computer on the car that can read abs systems and read the code and then replace the sensor which has failed. But the other way to check them is with a multimeter and check the resistance through them across the terminals on the plug give to the sensor. If the resistance is to high that is the sensor that has failed.

You should be able to get a new sensor from the dealers for about £50. Fitting them is very straight forward and should just push in and then are held in place by a small bolt. The old one will probably be seized in and may well break when you are removing it. Once the failed sensor is replaced the abs system will reset itself and the light will go out but the fault code on the engine system will have to be reset with a code reader. The speedo should then work again also.

I hope this has helped you. And if you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Please rate my answer as this is how I get paid.

Thanks in advance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS FOR THAT I HAVE GOT IT SCANNED AND ITS NOT SHOWING WHICH SENSOR IT IS. IT ONLY SAYS SPEED SENSOR ON 3 DIFFERENT MACHINES, I WILL CHANGE PASSENGER SIDE ABS SENSOR AND COME BACK TO YOU IF IT STILL SHOWING FAULT.
REGARDS
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That's not a problem.

But when scanned on a computer that does abs systems it should come up with a code like C0060 front left abs sensor etc. A P code corisponds to engine fault so that is why you aren't getting a code that points to which sensor is faulty. But as I said before from memory it is the front left sensor as I used to have a 206 rally car. So replacing this sensor should fix the fault and the light should go out after driven about 200-300 meters.

Any other questions please get back in touch.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI NATHAN
I HAVE GOT FRONT ABS SENSORS CHANGED BOTH OF THEM , BUT STILL THE SAME NO DIFFERENCE TRIED RESETTING IT WITH SCANNER NO RESULTS, CAN YOU HELP PLEASE.
REGARDS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DROVE AROUND A MILE AS WELL NO DIFFERENCE
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi again

Ok. Did you check the resistance on the sensors at all before changing them? Also check the abs ring on the drive shaft (looks like a cog ) to see whether the ring is either cracked or moved adrift and not giving the Arthur's a proper reading.

If you check this and then get back to me we'll work from there.

Cheers