I want to Ask should I do something if my mother rabbit still has milk (her breast is full) but all rabbits are gone now

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Good evening. I want to Ask should I do something if my mother rabbit still has milk (her breast is full) but all rabbits are gone now ,they are little bit more then 2 month old and we left only one baby rabbit ? Thank you
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: her name is Assol’ and she is 8 month old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It was her first children and we don’t plan to have more . We neutered our male rabbit as soon as Assol gave a birth and we are planing to spay her as well. She is eating good ,drinking and looks energetic .
Answered by Abbett Hudson in 2 hours 11 months ago
imglogo
Abbett Hudson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi, I'm Dr. A., thank you for reaching out to just answer today. I am happy to assist. Please give me a few moments to review the information you have provided.

Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but since I am not actually examining your animal, I cannot legally provide you with any specific diagnosis or prescribe medication. I can only speak in general terms about what might be happening and help you determine if/when you need to seek medical attention.

Customer
Thank you

There isn't anything you need to do at this point. Once all the babies are gone and not nursing anymore, she should stop producing and her mammary glands will slowly go back to a normal size.

Customer
But they all gone except one .we decided to keep him with us ,and he is older than 2 month already .
Thank you

Is he still with her?

How long ago did you take the other babies away?

Customer
He is with her :) 3 days ago

Okay, if he is still with her and nursing even a little, her body will still be sending the hormonal signals to make milk.

It will take more than 3 days for her to stop producing milk and for the mammary glands to decrease in size even if you had separated her from all the babies.

Customer
Ok.I understand :) thank you so much for your help ,I will supervise her for now .and we are planing to spay her,should I wait till her mammary glads decreased?

Waiting until they are back to a normal size would be best. It will make the surgery easier and decrease bruising/bleeding.

Customer
Thank you so much for your help !

You're welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Abbett Hudson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Abbett Hudson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.