We have a Betta fish that is struggling to swim properly and floats to its side at the top of the tank. It has been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a Betta fish that is struggling to swim properly and floats to its side at the top of the tank. It has been going on for sometime and it’s just sad. We followed the instructions to stop feeding for a couple of days but that did not help. All of his chemicals seem just right as far as we can tell. Just wondering if there is anything we can do. Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the betta fish also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: he does not have a lack of appetite actually. Just seems to not be able to swim properly and gives up - floats on his side at the top of the tank
JA: Does the betta fish seem to be in any pain?
Customer: it’s hard to say. He’s very responsive . Seems pleased with company .
JA: And what's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** we got him in May.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so …
Answered by Terri in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Terri
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

How many gallons in the tank?

What is the water temperature?

Have you tested the water?

What are the readings?

Customer
4 gallon
Temp 73
Readings are as follows in ppmHardness 75
Nitrite 0
Notate 10
Chlorine 0
Carbonate 40
PH 6.8

Thank you,  please give me 15.minites to type detailed answer

Customer
Ok thank you

Im sorry Gil is not doing well.

The temp is too cold,  a beta needs 80 degrees ti thrive.

In lower temps the fish won't eat.

Ammonia and nitrates must be zero

Nitrates 20ppm or less

PH  7

Change 30% of the water using declorinated spring water

Add one half tsp of aquarium salt

Then add an antibiotic like Kanaplex,  Furan or Maracyn 2

Verify the temp is 80.

Bring a sample of water to the pet store and they will test it for free and sell you what you need including the proper food

Please ler me know how Gil is doing

Customer
Oh my thank you ! Just plain spring water? From the grocery store?
Customer
We have something called melafix here. Is that the same?

You are more than welcome

It is my pleasure to help.such a wonderful person

Make sure the water is declorinated

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site

Customer
I will - just want to make sure if melafix can be used?

Yes,  metafix can be used

Customer
Ok thank you

My pleasure

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Terri
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Terri
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.