I have a betta fish that is laying on its side at the top of the tank. Temperature is on 79F and I give him food and is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a betta fish that is laying on its side at the top of the tank. Temperature is on 79F and I give him food and is hardly eating...
What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 6 hours 12 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jen :-) I am sorry that your fish is sick. I am quite worried about him. I need to get some more info in order to help you.
How big is your tank? Is it cycled or in cycled?

Can you tell me what your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are?

Most often illness and fish stems from water quality issues. Typically laying on their site indicates a swim bladder issue which again is often secondary to environmental conditions.

Customer
Tank is 1 gal., it has a filter. I always use water from the filter.
Customer
Customer attachment 11/19/2021 1:55:41 PM

How often do you do water changes and what percent of the water do you change? Can you give me some more information about ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites?

Customer
Customer attachment 11/19/2021 1:56:51 PM
Customer
I have never had a fish before.
When I clean the bowl I pick him up with a small cup (the one he was in when bought) and clean the whole bowl. Once/twice a week. I've had him for aprox. 2 months.
Customer
I have no idea about ammonia, nitrates or nitrites.
I use watee from the filter... drinkable water...
And I put 10 drops of water conditioner.

You need to get something called an API master test kit to test your water parameters at least a few times a week. I currently have my betta in a 3 gallon bowl because my cycle in my actual tank crashed and I have to change his water every single day because the ammonia gets too high in 24 hours. Go ahead and do a 100% water change and save a bit of the old water so that you can test.

API Water Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FCQNMVB46RNMA33FTDVT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Customer
What is the cycle???

The cycle is where you get beneficial bacteria built up in your tank creating nitrates that will keep the ammonia levels low. Let me see if I can find you an article.

https://www.tankarium.com/nitrogen-cycle/

Also the minimum recommended size for a tank for a betta is 2 1/2 gallons. Mine are in 8 gallon tanks.

Customer
Can I put the betta with other fishes? I was told that if I put other fishes rhe betta will kill them. Is it true?

They should be kept separate.  Exception to this is females can be kept in what is called a sorority but you must ha

Customer
I'm buying a 3.5 gal tank. Which natural plants can I put in the tank that would maintain the water and habitat clean, healthy, etc...? Should I buy gravel? Which one do you recommend?
Customer
Customer attachment 11/19/2021 3:20:29 PM
Customer
Can you see the pics? I'm buying that, is it ok for the fish?
I have never had a fish... I'm a dog person...

The conditioner and tank is good. I am not a fan of test strips as they are in accurate. I would suggest the testing kit that I sent you a link to before instead. To be honest with you I would start off with artificial plants at first until you get everything else figured out. Do you happen to be a member of Facebook? There is a very good informative group called beta fish health and happiness that I would recommend joining if so.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.