We have a 1 1/2 year old male hamster who is starting to lose the fur on his back. We are hoping you might have some

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, We have a 1 1/2 year old male hamster who is starting to lose the fur on his back. We are hoping you might have some suggestions for how we can help him.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the hamster was losing his fur?
Customer: About a month ago.
JA: Is his skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: It doesn’t seem to be.
JA: What's the hamster's name?
Customer: Skippy.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so. Thanks!
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer
Thanks! It seems like he might be eating less but it’s difficult to tell. Everything else appears normal.
Customer
We do not know of any medical conditions - this is the first time we’ve done something like this.
Customer
We can send a photo.
Customer
File attached (37SS2GQ)
When sending pictures or videos do not text them to this number as it is just message forwarding number. They will then not be sent through for me to review. Instead you can send them through the Just Answer application or attach them to the message line with the paper clip icon or camera symbol. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chat box where you type. You may also press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).
Or you can upload to google drive or drop box and share the link with me here.
The Just Answer app can also be downloaded and it may be easier to then upload pictures/video through the app also.
Customer
File attached (5Q13Z37)
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.The following are some other examples to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdfUntil able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub.The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.
Customer
Thank you very much! We’ll try that!
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Skippy  today. I wish Skippy a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer
Great - thanks so much! This was excellent and we’ll get started on the treatment tomorrow. We appreciate the advice, especially at this time of day. Have a good evening!
It has been my pleasure my friend:-).
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.