He has a red belly. my goldfish has a red patch on his belly in front of his middle fins. Actually by his middle fins

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi he has a red belly
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Hi, my goldfish has a red patch on his belly in front of his middle fins
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the goldfish been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: actually by his middle fins mid body on his belly
JA: What's the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: He is Fasty the Fish, he is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He is freshwater and lives alone Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Anna in 23 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear Fasty is having a problem. Can you send me a picture of him so I can see the redness? Thank you.

Customer
Ok

Thank you. I’ll give you a little time to get the photo, and I’ll check back shortly.

Customer
He is mid-pooping so ignore that.
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 7:12:01 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 7:12:27 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 7:12:34 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 7:13:49 PM

Thank you. I’ll take a look and be back.

Thank you for waiting. I feel terrible to give you bad news, but I believe you deserve honesty. It looks like Fasty has septicemia (blood poisoning). This is a life threatening illness. Fish can contract it in a number of ways - a tiny wound we can’t even see, less than optimal water, or contaminated food. I’m glad to see that Fasty is eating and pooping. That means you may have caught this in an early stage, and there is a better chance of successful treatment. You need a strong antibiotic. I recommend Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. Most pet stores do not carry these, and will try to sell you Melafix or another “natural” remedy. These work only for very mild infections, and will not work for septicemia. You’ll probably have to order what you need online. Here is a reputable source:

https://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Seachem-Kanaplex-Antifungal-5-gm__Z00011608810.aspx

They also sell .Maracyn 2 . When you get the medications, just follow the instructions on the package. I hope Fasty will reach a full recovery.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.