My ferret who has been perfectly healthy and active will not move, her eyes are open and she is breathing but her hind

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my ferret who has been perfectly healthy and active will not move, her eyes are open and she is breathing but her hind legs are stiff and cold
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the ferret been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: I just noticed today, I'm not sure how many hours but she was fine this morning around 9am
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: her diet hasn't been changed at all
JA: And what's the ferret's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** *****'m not 100% on her age but probably a month or two old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: shes drifting in and out of sleep, I'm trying my best to keep her awake but she is very weak right now. shes squirming her front legs but that's seems like that's all shes capable of right now
Answered by PitRottMommy in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

I am very sorry to hear that Brutus is unable to move with her legs being stiff and cold. I am very worried about an injury. If she's very weak right now, give her 2 drops of honey, syrup or sugar water orally every hour until she can be seen. Your vet is going to want to start with diagnostics like x-rays, blood work, fecal analysis, etc. to determine the cause of her symptoms. Given the severity of her condition, I would not delay in seeing a vet for care.

If in the USA, you can find vets open in your area here: https://www.petflight.com/vet_clinics Be sure to call before heading in to ensure that they can accommodate you and your companion.

If finances might limit your ability to obtain care for your companion at this time, please visit this link where I have comprised 26 links to help with financial aid, financing and fundraising: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3mxuiqvbt8drjk/JAFinancialAid.docx?dl=0

Does this all make sense? Do you have any additional questions I can address today on this topic?

Customer
I dont think shes going to make it too much longer, shes drinking the sugar water but I'm not seeing much improvement. there's no vets open in my area I'm not sure what to do

Where are you located?

Customer
sheboygan wisconsin

These are the closest locations I have found that are open this weekend and seeing emergencies. You'll need to reach out to them to see if they can see your companion this evening.

https://www.petflight.com/places/28718/vet_clinics

If not, you're likely to need to wait until morning to have her seen.

Milwaukee also has a 24/7 exotic emergency option. They're about an hour away: https://vcahospitals.com/milwaukee-emergency?utm_source=maps&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=VCA_Milwaukee_Emergency_Center_for_Animals

Customer
we arent able to get her in tonight but were keeping her warm. she seemed to be doing a little better, breathing more steadily. She seemed to be hickuping and now I think shes gone
Customer
I appreciate you keeping in touch and helping as much as you could though, thank you

You're welcome. I wish there was more we could have done.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.