Do you deal with hedgehogs? He was fine earlier today. I gave him a bath and he was fine an hour or so later he was

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Do you deal with hedgehogs?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the hedgehog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: he was fine earlier today. I gave him a bath and he was fine an hour or so later he was stumbling, lethargic, and threw up
JA: Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: it was like a thick paste type substance looked like good puréed food puréed
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of. I had him outside, which is typical, and I never saw him licking or chewing on anything hes VERY picky when it comes to food
JA: And what's the hedgehog's name and age?
Customer: popple he’s 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: almost 3, will be in December
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is*****'m an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to help you with Popple. You must be so worried about him. I'm so sorry he is not well suddenly. Has he had a bath before? Was he normal prior to the bath? Can he walk now? Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

Customer
he has had a bath several times before this.
He was completely fine and his typical self.

I'm so sorry. If you look at him, does his head look tilted to one side and is he leaning or circling to that side? Can he walk?

Customer
He is walking better now but he won't walk. He will walk a bit and then lay back down
Customer
His head doesn't seem to be tilted

Can you see if his eyes are constantly moving or are they still? Any evidence he has an ear infection?

Is trauma possible? How is his breathing?

Customer
They seem to be like normal as far as movement/not movement goes.
You can look at his eyes and he just looks sick/tired.
Don't see any signs of an ear infection. No drainage or anything.
No, nothing happened to cause an trauma.
His breathing seems normal

If you shine a light in his eyes, I'd check that they are not moving. It can be hard with them being dark without using a light.

If he can't walk much and is not coordinated, something serious is going on. Does he ever vomit?

Do you think he's in pain?

Customer
I've seen evidence of vomit before but not this much and he's never acted like this aftwards
Customer
No, I don't think he's him pain.
He doesn't act like it

I'm sorry, I am worried about him. You don't think he's been injured? Does he get stressed during baths? I'm glad he's breathing ok.

Customer
His eyes aren't moving. I shined a light
Customer
He sometimes gets a little stressed during a bath but I put his wheel in so he can just run instead of swim. He doesn't like to swim. That helps him stay calm during baths
Customer
He's been on the lawn, in the bath, and on the couch with us since before this started. No chance for him to be injured

Is he focusing on you and responding to stimuli?

Customer
If I touch him he will respond to touch

That's good. Do you think he can see?

Customer
Hedgehogs have bad eyesight so not really

But he's not acting any different in that regard than normal. Is he not curled up in a ball, he's acting normal and doing normal things, or is he just laying there?

Customer
He just lays kind of on his side
Not really in a ball

Is that normal for him? If you pick him up and move him, or put him on the other side, does he object or get stressed?

Customer
He sleeps on his side a lot.
He doesn't seem to get stressed when I move him.
He's just very lethargic

I'm sorry. Are you comfortable monitoring him? Vomiting with weakness and incoordination can indicate dizziness but can also indicate other serious issues. Do you think his back legs seem weaker than the front ones? They can also get wobbly hedgehog syndrome. If he's suddenly so strange acting, I'd take him to the ER.

Customer
We don't have an Er vet here and no vets around me treats hesgehogs

That's a problem, not all do. If you are not able to get him seen (or travel elsewhere if I can help find you a clinic), then the best thing to do with an animal who is acting funny is to get them eating and drinking and monitor them closely, keeping them comfortable. If he vomits again, I'd be concerned about dehydration from not eating and losing fluids in the vomit. A diagnosis would be ideal.

Customer
He hasn't vomited since before I message you

Right, and that's really good. I'm glad for that!

Are his gums a normal pink color? Would he let you open his mouth or does he object?

Customer
He didn't object when it first started. They were a light pink color.
He's perking up more now so he tried to bite me when I looked

That is a good sign that he's not totally out of it!

Is the pink lighter than his normal?

Customer
I'm not sure. He's not one to ever let us look in his mouth

Right, I'd not expect so!

Are you comfortable monitoring him? Can I help look for an ER in a neighboring city?

Customer
I'll monitor him and cal his vet tomorrow

That sounds good. I hope he's comfortable and not in any pain. I will be available this evening if something comes up and you have more questions or concerns. Did you have any more questions for me today?

Customer
He's seems to be doing much better.
I think I just got too cold after his bath.

Well that's fabulous. I sure hope that's it! Though I'm not sure what the vomiting was about. I hope Popple is back to normal soon. I sure wish you both all the best. I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.

Warmly,

Dr. Nicki

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.