I have a beautiful fantail goldfish. Eyes alert belky puffed up abd he floats belly up like he s full of air. I cant

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a beautiful fantail goldfish
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the goldfish's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: eyes alert belky puffed up abd he floats belly up like he s full of air
JA: When was the goldfish last seen by a vet?
Customer: i cant find a aquatic vet closer than one hor drive one way
JA: And what's the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: 11/2years old he about as round as a baseball now all ouffed up name is fancy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it seems like hes full of air tries to eat his flakes but its hard because he s updide dow eyes alert breathing is normal not gasping
Answered by Anna in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about Fancy’s problem. Can you send me a picture of him? Thank you.

Customer
Hi
Customer
Customer attachment 5/10/2021 10:29:36 PM

Thank you. I’ll take a look and be back.

Customer
Ok
Customer
Do u think his eating newly hatched snails in tank could have done this to him

No, the snails most likely have nothing to do with this. He is suffering from a severe case of swim bladder disorder. This is very common in fancy goldfish. The swim bladder is the organ that enables a fish to orient itself in the water. When something goes wrong, the fish may swim upside down, sideways, or be unable to dive. A number of different things can go wrong. Constipation is a common cause. The unpassed droppings put pressure on the swim bladder and prevent it from functioning properly. Excessive air is another common cause. With the amount of bloating Fancy is experiencing, I suspect there is a lot of air in there,

Customer
What can help him

Your best chance of saving him would be to make that one hour drive to the aquatic vet. That is actually closer than most people are able to find such a vet because there aren’t very many fish vets. The vet can insert a needle in just the right spot to release the air. There is usually an instant recovery. Many aquatic vets do make house calls. That would be easier on Fancy, but more expensive. Also, some local vets will work with a fish vet by phone consultation to help in a situation like this. You may want to check into that.

On your own, you can try to get him to eat a thawed out and peeled frozen pea. Hold it right in front of him. If he is constipated, that can get things moving again. You can also add aquarium salt to the tank. Use one teaspoon per gallon of water. However, these steps usually help with constipation, not excessive air. It is likely the needle technique is the only thing that will help him. Some people do this themselves. I never have, and strongly recommend a vet. If you want to see how it is done, go to YouTube and search for “relieving swim bladder disorder in goldfish.” Tgere will be several videos.

Swim bladder disorder in itself is not fatal, but if it isn’t relieved, most fish die from the stress. If you try the peas and salt, with no results, doing the needle technique may be your only option. I hope you can find a pet to do it. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope you’ll find a good solution. I’m sorry that there isn’t a good home remedy for this.

Customer
Ill try the pea and aquarium salt first
Customer
Should the pea be defrosted and soft
Not frozen and hard

Ok. The pea needs to be thawed out and peeled.

Customer
Im 70 yrs old but ill try to do it
Customer
How about a eyedropper of olive oil

I understand. I’m also 70 years old, and have worked with all types of animals throughout my life. My goal in my retirement years has been to help others with their pets. As seniors we have been through a lot, and we have become stronger, and can usually do whatever we must. But if you need help, reach out to younger relatives or neighbors. Most counties have resources for seniors, and if you call them, there may be a volunteer willing to drive you and Fancy to the vet. I’m sure you will do your best to find a solution, and that is all anyone can do.I wish you success.

Customer
Is an eyedropper if olive oil any help

I just received your post about the olive oil. If you can get a few drops into him without injuring him, that could help with constipation. But if the problem is air, olive oil won’t do anything to help.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.