Our hedgehog was perfectly fine last night but this morning, I found her on her wheel pretty much motionless. Normally,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our hedgehog was perfectly fine last night but this morning, I found her on her wheel pretty much motionless. Normally, she’ll quickly run under her blankets when I enter the room so early in the morning. Today, she just stayed there. I rocked the wheel and she rocked with it. My daughter picked her up and she went into a ball. I held her and she did the same. My daughter wrapped her in a blanket and held her, she uncurled and continued to snuggle with her, which is normal behavior for her. I gently blew her with a warm/cool hair dryer and she seemed to be fine with it. We placed her in her playpen and she stood there for a bit looking around and went under her blankets, her favorite place to be. I could see the blanket moving around as she settled in. Here is my thought, the temperature in her cage/area was a steady 75-76 degrees all night so I’m pretty confident that hibernation is not the issue. However, we use puppy pads under her wheel and last night my daughter used a new brand that I picked up from the Dollar Tree. I suspect that she was licking, biting, and sniffing it and who knows what chemicals it contains. That was the only change to her environment. What are your thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the hedgehog been licking or rubbing the dryness?
Customer: What dryness?
JA: What's the hedgehog's name?
Customer: Acorn
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Acorn?
Customer: No.
Answered by JessicaC216 in 22 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
JessicaC216
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello my name is***** and I am going to try to help you with Acorn.  I am sorry she is not feeling well.  Are you able to tell if the stools/feces in her kennel appear normal amount/color/consistency?  Is she eating normally?

If Acorn is still acting lethargic and not herself I would advise bringing her to a veterinarian.  Lethargy is a non specific sign but could indicate something is very wrong with Acorn and these guys need immediate care as they can decline rapidly.  I wish you and Acorn the best.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
JessicaC216
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
JessicaC216
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.