My bettas fins are getting shredded. I’ve re done his tank and I’m sure there’s nothing sharp anywhere. Betta fish. His

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello ! My bettas fins are getting shredded. I’ve re done his tank and I’m sure there’s nothing sharp anywhere
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: betta fish
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the betta fish's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: his hind fin got shredded a couple weeks ago, so I added some tannins and beta fix, and re did his tank so there’s nothing sharp. I looked at him today and his top and bottom fins are shredded also
JA: When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: hes never been seen by a vet
JA: What's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: kaiju, and I’m not sure age. I just got him a couple months ago
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not that I can think of ! Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Anna in 8 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. I suspect that your betta has not shredded his fins on anything in his tank. Instead, he is probably suffering from fin and tail rot. First, the fins appear shredded. As the disease progresses, pieces fall off and it eventually becomes internal, and is life threatening.
Breeders have turned to intensive inbreeding in bettas in order to get the long fins and unusual colors. But another result is that the fish now have weak immune systems. As a result, severe fin rot has become common. In some bettas, the fin rot becomes chronic and has to be treated several times a year.In others, one treatment solves the problem. But in others yet, nothing works.

The antibiotics you are using are very mild ones, and can’t deal with this severe fin rot. You’ll need a stronger antibiotic. Kanamycin (brand name Kanaplex) has been found to be most effective against fin rot. It’s worth a try. If you can’t find it locally, here is an online source:

https://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Seachem-Kanaplex-Antifungal-5-gm__Z00011608810.aspx

Just follow the instructions on the packaging. Kanaplex is sized for tanks 5 gallons or larger. If your tank is smaller than that, you can try Maracyn 2 or Furan 2. Both are good options, but not quite as effective as Kanaplex. The source I gave you for Kanaplex also sells those products.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope your betta will be able to reach a full recovery.

Customer
Hi Anna ,Thanks so much. That makes sense about the breeding. He’s a long finned koi and is absolutely stunning , but that for sure makes sense since I spent hours sanding things in his tank. I’ll get him on some kanaplex ASAP! Thanks so much for the help.

You’re very welcome. I wish you success with treatment.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.