I have a Half Moon Betta fish that wont eat and hides on the bottom of its tank all day. Also breathing is heavy some

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a Half Moon Betta fish that wont eat and hides on the bottom of its tank all day
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the betta fish also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Also breathing is heavy some times
JA: Does the betta fish seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Looks tired yes but not pain
JA: And what's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: Moon. We. Got him in September of 2020. Also we just did a tank chang and swap from 1 gallon to 3 gallon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Moon?
Customer: Not sure. We just got water tested last night and nitrate was low also just put a moss ball in the tank
Answered by Terri in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Terri
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

how long is he like this?

was ammonia zero?

were nitrates 20ppm or less?

what is the temp?

Customer
Hes been like this for a few days we got water checked at petsmart and said nitrate was low close to zero. They didnt say anything about ammonia. Also water temp is at around 72 degrees
Thank you please give me 15 minutes to type detailed answer

Lethargy can be a sign of a few things and they are:

1) unfavorable water conditions

2) old age which for a betta would be anything 2+ years

3) disease

What I recommend be done is change 30% of the water in the tank using dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the water already in the tank.

72 is too cold for a Betta, they live in warm, shallow ponds.

Get a heater for the tank

Verify that the water temperature is at the proper level for bettas which is 80f/26c degrees if not then slowly adjust it until it reaches the proper temperature.

Ammonia and nitrites must be zero.

Nitrates 20 ppm or less

PH 7

Aquaium salt should be added at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water in the tank

Betas now have weak immune systems due to severe inbreeding

Fish rarely get sick unless under stress levels. So if you can cut back on as much stress as possible, the better.

If you think your betta might not be eating due to stress then maybe try bringing some darkness to the tank to reduce stress. Cover the tank with a small blanket so the fish doesn’t have to witness all the movement outside of the tank. Even though he is inside the tank, he still gets stress from movement in his surrounding view. Darkness helps this stress tell he is more used to the new temo.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri

Your Betta needs to get used to different food than he's used to. Try different brands till you find something he likes. Try soaking the pellets and blood worms first. Dry food/blood worms will swell in his belly and could cause swim bladder disfunction.

Try a different brand of pellets like New Life Spectrum for Betta's. Frozen blood worms and brine shrimp are better than dried, but don't use everyday.

However, if after a week or so your fish still isn’t eating, consider trying a different food just in case (but don’t freak out too much, as it takes several weeks for a Betta fish to starve, they have very efficient metabolisms).

Also, if you are using pellets, a fish who is used to flakes might find the hard, thick pellets tough to handle. If you soak these in a cup of water for a minute to soften them up they may go down easier and you can ween your fish onto them this way.

Customer
Thank you so much for the help
You are more than welcome
It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Terri
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Terri
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.