I a few months ago you gave me advice in regards to my fish Beto who had tail rot. He recently got tail rot again. At

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi Anna, I a few months ago you gave me advice in regards ***** ***** fish Beto who had tail rot. He recently got tail rot again. At first I thought it was ick and I placed copper solution in the tank. Since it did not work I did a water change and started giving him bettafix. So far he is on day two of the medicine but his tail still looks bad (see picture). Should I continue with the betta fix or do you think based on how he looks I should give him a stronger medicine (Kanaplex) instead? Also I wanted to mention that I added a background to his tank and a few days later I noticed the paint come off in the tank. I also added a cave for him in the tank since he likes to hide, but it’s very smooth and doesn’t have sharp edges. Could any of this have been a factor in him getting sick again?
Answered by Anna in 46 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi again. Thank you for requesting me. I would remove the background. I don’t think it has anything to do with fin and tail rot, but it can’t be good to have paint in the tank. Bettafix is too mild to treat fin rot. It looks like you caught it early. If you remember, I mentioned that some fish have to be treated several times a year because fin rot has become chronic in many bettas. I would go with Kanaplex again.

If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.

Anna

Customer
Sounds good I will give him Kanaplex then! Thank you. One more quick question- I wanted to get a new tank for him because the tank he has currently has a black background and he always flares at it because he sees his own reflection there. Should I wait to move him into the new tank once the tail rot improves or is it safe to move him now?
That depends. Are you planning to get a tank big enough that you want to have it cycled?
Customer
The tank would be the same size as the current one he has (6-7 gallons). I’m just going to get the tank and place the filter I already have onto the new tank.
Customer
far my fish has just been resting at the bottom today so that’s why I wanted to double check if it’s ok to move him now into a few tank (once filtered) or if it will hurt him more to move him and just wait instead.
If you make sure the water is conditioned and the same temperature as the present tank, it should be ok.
Customer
Ok, perfect. Thank you so much for the help I appreciate it.
You’re very welcome. I’m glad to help.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.