Our betta fish has got mild fin rot last Tuesday. We’ve quarantined him and are using aquarium salt for treatment with a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi there, our betta fish has got mild fin rot last Tuesday. We’ve quarantined him and are using aquarium salt for treatment with a 50% water change everyday. It’s been three days but doesn’t seem like the fin rot is stopping.
JA: Hi there. The Expert will know how to help with the fin rot. When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: Hes not been to a vet before. We got him only last month
JA: Null What's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: His name is*****’m not sure about the age. Seems to be relatively young.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Phil?
Customer: His new tank is 5 gallons and is currently just cycling. His quarantine tank doesn’t have a filter or an air pump as of now.
Answered by Anna in 2 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem.

Breeders have turned to intensive inbreeding in bettas in order to get the long fins and unusual colors. But another result is that the fish now have weak immune systems. As a result, severe fin rot has become common. In some bettas, the fin rot becomes chronic and has to be treated several times a year.In others, one treatment solves the problem. But in others yet,

Salt is a very mild medication, and can’t deal with fin rot. It needs to be treated aggressively with a strong antibiotic. Kanamycin (brand name Kanaplex) has been found to be most effective against fin rot. It’s worth a try. If you can’t find it locally, here is an online source:

https://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Seachem-Kanaplex-Antifungal-5-gm__Z00011608810.aspx

Just follow the instructions on the packaging. Make sure you maintain water quality, and if possible, use a small heater to keep the water around 78*F.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope your betta will reach a full recovery.

Customer
Hi Anna, thank you so much for your prompt response. This really helps. We're located in Canada and hence all those medicines are not readily available unfortunately. Is there any organic way of treating him? I've heard of Indian almond leaves and looking to treat him with that. As of now he seems to be fine - feeding readily, smooth swimming movements etc. so trying not to dose him with strong medication yet.
Customer
This is how he looks like right now
Customer
Just want to know if this is really bad. We've only been doing the salt treatment for three days now with a higher dosage than on the pack. Just want to know how we're doing on time.
Customer
This is when we first got him

It’s not severe yet. Almond leaves and salt are not very effective against fin rot. Don’t dose more salt than one teaspoon per gallon of water. You can overdose salt, and it can be toxic. If the almond leaves were a cure, we’d see far fewer deaths in bettas. Not a week goes by that I don’t see a case of a betta whose fin rot has progressed to the point of no return when being treated with almond leaves.
If you can’t get the medications I suggested, check your pet stores for Bettafix. It’s usually not strong enough to treat fin rot, but this is an early case, so it might work. It is a natural remedy that works like a mild antibiotic. If you can’t find it, you can use Melafix. It’s the same thing only more concentrated. You would use it at half the rate in the instructions.

Finally, you could consult a fish vet. There aren’t very many of them, and I only found two in Canada, but if one should happen to be close to you, that would be a good option. Their contact information is here:

https://www.wavma.org/find-a-fish-vet/results

Customer
Hi Anna! Thanks so much for the detailed message. I did finally manage to find some bettafix at PetSmart - which is great. Do you suggest I wait a few days before moving him on to the Bettafix treatment since he's been on salt treatment for a few days now?
Customer
His quarantine tank doesn't have a filter/airpump as of now. But it does have a heater and we're doing 50% water changes everyday.
It’s fine to use Bettafix and salt at the same time. Don’t keep adding more salt, though. Salt can be overdosed. With the water changes, it will probably be fine without a filter and pump.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.