My hedgehog is not as active as usual and she is staying cold. I am a new owner and have several questions. Please help

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My hedgehog is not as active as usual and she is staying cold. I am a new owner and have several questions. Please help me
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the hedgehog been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: At lest a couple of days. And yes, she isn’t eating much
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no she never gets out of our sights
JA: And what's the hedgehog's name and age?
Customer: Shirley. We were told she was a few months old. Am I supposed to have some kind of heat in her cage?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Shirley?
Customer: She isn’t using her wheel
Answered by DavidH1117 in 9 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DavidH1117
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi, I'm Dr. Hannon. I'll be assisting you today. Anorexia and lethargy are fairly nonspecific symptoms unfortunately. There are many things that could be wrong with her, and it's probably going to take a visit to your veterinarian to figure it out. Yes, you can provide her some additional heat. I've attached a good article on hedgehog care. Use it to make sure that your husbandry is appropriate. If you don't have a veterinarian already, you can find one at The Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians | AEMV.

Customer
Thank you
Customer
Will she go into hibernation if she doesn't have a heat source?

That's possible but highly unlikely at her age.

Customer
What kind of heat is best for me to buy? A heating pad or heat lamp?

I prefer heat lamps or thermal emitters of heating pads or under-cage heaters. They offer more ambient heat, which warms the whole animal, in contrast to the conductive heat provided by a heating pad, which typically only warms the surface contacting it.

Customer
Ok thank you. Should I leave the lamp on all the time or just certain times of day or night ?

White heat lamps should be turned off at night. Red heat lamps or thermal emitters can be left on. I would recommend the latter.

Customer
Ok thank you so much
Customer
How often should I give her mealworms or other treats?

For right now, as often as she'll eat them. Eating is more important than eating right. Once she's better, she can have 5-6 per day.

Customer
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DavidH1117
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DavidH1117
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.