My goldfish is swimming weirdly, kind of vertically/upside down and there is something in his right gill. I only noticed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My goldfish is swimming weirdly, kind of vertically/upside down and there is something in his right gill
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the goldfish's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I only noticed it just tonight, he's usually normal but he has been sitting on the bottom of his tank a lot as well
JA: When was the goldfish last seen by a vet?
Customer: He hasn't seen a vet at all I think
JA: And what's the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: Jeremy and he is around a year now
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No, I think that's all thank you
Answered by Anna in 3 hours 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. You were speaking with a bot before. I’m a real person. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about Jeremy’s problem.

It sounds like he is suffering from swim bladder disorder. The swim bladder is the organ that enables fish to orient themselves in the water. When something goes wrong, the fish may swim sideways or upside down, or it may float or sink. There are several potential causes. Tge most common one is constipation. The droppings the fish can’t pass put pressure on the swim bladder and prevent it from functioning properly. The treatment for constipation is to feed the fish peeled and thawed out frozen peas. If they’re too big, you can smash them and feed Jeremy part of one. You may need to hold it right it front of his mouth to encourage him to eat. If he will eat, feed him nothing but peas for three days. If he won’t eat the peas, put him on a fast for three days. Also add aquarium salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water in the tank.

Infection can also interfere with swim bladder function. That can be treated with an antibiotic from the pet store. Melafix is frequently used.

The swim bladder can also be injured. Minor injuries can heal in their own over time. But if the bladder actually ruptures, the fish will never be able to swim normally. A ruptured swim bladder can eventually result in death. However, cobstipation and infection are more common than ruptures.

In summary, I would feed peas (or fast him), add salt to the tank, and treat with Melafix.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I hope Jeremy will be fine.

Anna

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.