My betta fish has significant symptoms of fin rot and after a few days of Bettafix treatment & almost a week in a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My betta fish has significant symptoms of fin rot and after a few days of Bettafix treatment & almost a week in a "quarantine" tank he is only getting worse.
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the fin rot. When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: Never
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the fin rot. What's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: Kingpin, 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kingpin?
Customer: He's shown symptoms for around a month now, and I've had to move residences a couple of times within that month. He is likely experiencing a lot of shock, but I am worried he he's near death**
Answered by Terri in 14 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Terri
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Aquarium salt should be added at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water in the tank. Salt can make a prolapse go back in, but it also helps with fin and tail rot.

The rot is usually caused bacteria, so we'll also need medication to eliminate them.

A combination of Melafix and Pimafix often helps, and those two are sold in most pet stores.

here are a couple of other things you can do to support the regrowth of healthy fin tissue. These are safe with the medications. One is a supplement called VitaChem, which you'd probably have to order online. Here is a reputable source.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4998

StressCoat (available in most pet stores) may also help. VitaChem and StressCoat can be used in conjunction with medicated food or medications in the water.

https://www.chewy.com/api-stress-coat-aquarium-water/dp/122094?utm_id=272255476&msclkid=e581ef57e7361e3369a4b1a9f38b994c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets-Consumables-NB&utm_term=4585307088206118&utm_content=Fish%20Water%20Conditioners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uGsQMNc5vw ammonia and nitrites must be 0nitrates 20ppm or less Verify that the water temperature is at the proper level for bettas which is 80f/26c degrees. I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,Terri
Customer
Hi Terri! Thank you so much for your help so far.
I currently have him in a 0.7 gallon tank to better regulate water levels & because he has been struggling to swim up for oxygen. He stays on or near the bottom of the tank nearly 24/7, but still waves his fins and breathes. He eats some whenever I put food in front of him. (Just thought this info could help with determining urgency of his situation, etc).Because he seems to be so fatigued, should I keep him in the smaller tank or should I move him back to his 2.5 gallon? The smaller one has a built-in filter, but the bigger one's filter broke. This is one of the reasons i moved him to the other, smaller tank.Also, I'm worried the Bettafix has worsened his condition and ruined his current water. How much water should I change out? Should I go buy everything you mentioned and use it all together, or is there a specific item that should be used first/last/etc?Thanks again for your help! I'll be sure to rate you 5 stars after our conversation.

have you tested the water/?

Customer
I haven't yet; I plan on going to the store later today to pick up what i can of the products you mentioned, and a water testing kit is on my list to get as well. However, the water is cloudy. I would have changed it, but the Bettafix bottle recommended that I wait a week and then do a full water change. I have been cleaning out waste/excess food.

keep him in the smaller tank but make sure the water parameters are perfect for a Betta

bring a sample to the store

stop using betafix, switch to the other meds

do a water change

add aquarium salt.

Customer
Ok! Thank you so much for your help, and I hope you have a great week!

my pleasure

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Terri
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Terri
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.