My new pet betta won’t eat. I bought him last night and put him in his new tank. He won’t eat. Never. Milo just bought

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My new pet betta won’t eat. I bought him last night and put him in his new tank.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the betta fish's situation?
Customer: He won’t eat
JA: When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: never
JA: And what's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: Milo just bought him last night
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I’m not sure of the gender
Answered by Terri in 57 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Terri
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

When a Betta first comes home he can be very stressed.

A new fish tank setup is always going to bring stress to the fish because its new. What is important to know is that stress puts a fish’s body at harm. Fish rarely get sick unless under stress levels. So if you can cut back on as much stress as possible, the better.

If you think your betta might not be eating due to stress then maybe try bringing some darkness to the tank to reduce stress. Cover the tank with a small blanket so the fish doesn’t have to witness all the movement outside of the tank. Even though he is inside the tank, he still gets stress from movement in his surrounding view. Darkness helps this stress tell he is more used to the new environment.

Your Betta needs to get used to different food than he's used to. Try different brands till you find something he likes. Try soaking the pellets and blood worms first. Dry food/blood worms will swell in his belly and could cause swim bladder disfunction.

Try a different brand of pellets like New Life Spectrum for Betta's. Frozen blood worms and brine shrimp are better than dried, but don't use everyday.

However, if after a week or so your fish still isn’t eating, consider trying a different food just in case (but don’t freak out too much, as it takes several weeks for a Betta fish to starve, they have very efficient metabolisms).

Also, if you are using pellets, a fish who is used to flakes might find the hard, thick pellets tough to handle. If you soak these in a cup of water for a minute to soften them up they may go down easier and you can ween your fish onto them this way.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Terri
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Terri
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.