I did a water change with my betta fish, I waited for him to get acclimated and put him in the tank, yes I tested the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I did a water change with my betta fish, I waited for him to get acclimated and put him in the tank, yes I tested the water before putting him in, the only difference that I made to his tank is add floating plants, new filter system (I soaked the new one in the old water before using it) and I got a plant light but he didn't like the light so I turned it off and he swim for a little big and now he's very lethargic and is hardly swimming and he's not doing his normal routine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the betta fish been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: I gave him food yesterday and he ate like normal and he's been lethargic since last night
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: He did try to eat a root of a plant but he spit it right back out and I took that root out
JA: And what's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** age unknown, I got him at my local pet store but if I had to guess I would say 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Louii?
Customer: I've only had him for about a week and that's it
Answered by Anna in 9 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. Can you send me a picture of Louii so I can see his condition? You can upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the toolbar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions should pop up. Thank you.

Customer
File attached (1QTLVT1)

Thank you. I’ll take a look.

Customer
No call, I can't afford that right now

You can just ignore the requests for calls. They are not from me, but are computer generated.

Thank you for waiting. Nothing you did caused Louii’s condition. He has fin rot, and he almost certainly had it when you bought him. How long is the pet store’s guarantee good for?

Customer
I don't know how long it was good for, I didn't ask, do I just need to buy fin rot medication?

Ok. Yes, you can try that. Unfortunately, bettas have become very prone to severe fin rot because breeders have resorted to intense inbreeding to get longer fins and unusual colors.That inbreeding has also resulted in weak immune systems, so it’s hard to fight off fin rot.

You can try Maracyn 2, Bettafix, or Melafix. If you use Melafix or Bettafix, you can also use aquarium salt with it. Don’t use the salt if you use Maracyn 2. Sometimes these medicines can work on fin rot, but sometimes it takes more than one course of treatment. A few fish don’t respond at all. I hope Louii will be able to recover.

Customer
Thank you so much I appreciate it, I'll see if I can find those medicines. I just feel bad for the fishes in the pet store and just want to help them but after this one I think I'll just stick to a betta breeder, thank you for helping me, I hope he gets better soon

You’re welcome. I hope he will be ok, too.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.