I have a betta fish that i’ve had for a year, and recently his tail has receded and it’s to the point where half of his

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi i have a betta fish that i’ve had for a year, and recently his tail has receded and it’s to the point where half of his body is now white, including his tail. he’s a bright blue double tale male so this change is very obvious. the people at pet smart said it was fin rot, so i have been changing his water every 2 and a half weeks, and treating him with betta fix but it doesn’t seem to be helping. i do have a heater and a filter as well.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the betta fish been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: no
JA: What's the betta fish's name?
Customer: fish
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he’s eating when i feed him and he swims around fine, i’m just worried about why he’s turning white and why his tail is gone even though i’m treating him with medicine and doing everything i’ve been told to do
Answered by Anna in 9 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Customer
when will they respond

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. Can you send me a picture of your fish so I can see his condition? You can upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the toolbar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions should pop up. Thank you.

Customer
Customer attachment 6/17/2020 3:15:44 AM
Customer
let me know if you got the picture
Customer
File attached (MP5PM4S)

It just got here. Thank you. I’ll take a look and be right back.

Customer
okay

Thank you for waiting. I feel bad to tell you this, but I believe you deserve honesty. He is in critical condition. I don’t know if he can be saved. He has very severe fin rot. The pet store steered you wrong. Bettafix is a very mild medication and I wouldn’t expect it to treat rot like this. Normally, I recommend Kanaplex, but very few pet stores stick it. It has to be ordered online. You can buy it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-N-A-Kanaplex-Pack/dp/B00LASJTJE

You do need to have at least a 5 gallon tank in order to dose it correctly. If you can find it locally, you could also try Furan 2. What concerns me is that the fin rot is so advanced, I don’t know if he will respond to these medications.

Severe fin rot has become very common in bettas. Breeders have resorted to intense inbreeding to get fancier fins and more colors. That inbreeding has also resulted in a poor immune system and shortened lifespan for many bettas. Not a day goes by that I don’t deal with this. Some fish respond to the medication, and some don’t. All you can do is try.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’ll help in any way I can.

Customer
his fin rot wasn't this bad until i started treating him, he has been acting better, but his coloring is worse and his tail is growing. are you telling me that there isn't much i can do? and if i even do consider getting him medication, is it worth it in the condition he is in or should i just let him be until it's his time to go? i don't understand what happened. he's in a 5 gallon tank, i change his water regularly and treat it to make it safe, i feed him high quality food, so i'm at a loss.

Because he is still eating and swimming, I do think it’s worth trying treatment. As for getting worse when you started the Bettafix, that medication had nothing to do with that. The condition usually gets worse, and that medication is not strong enough to stop it.

I understand that you did everything to care for him properly. Unfortunately, that doesn’t guarantee good health. That inbreeding I explained above has a lot to do with it.

He may be one of those who responds to treatment with a stronger antibiotic. I just wanted to warn you that he may not. There is no way to predict which fish will. I do think it’s worth a try.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.