I think my betta fish has finrot but I am not sure. Well I just noticed it about 2 weeks ago his tail started to get

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my betta fish has finrot but I am not sure.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the betta fish had this fin rot?
Customer: Well I just noticed it about 2 weeks ago his tail started to get raggedy. I started to clean his aquarium doing lots of water changes, but it seems like it’s not working
JA: When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: never i can send a picture
JA: And what's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: hmmm.. I got him from PetCo in mid January. Maybe he is young. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Leonardo?
Customer: Not sure. I have been looking at many websites about bettas- and they have conflicting information about what to do. They talk about using aquarium salt, Bettafix, Kanaplex, or cleaning aquarium. I am afraid to do anything at this poknt i don’t want to hurt him
Answered by Anna in 5 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hello

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. Unfortunately, severe fin rot infections have become very common in bettas. Please do send yurt picture of him. You can upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the toolbar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions should pop up. Thank you.

Customer
Customer attachment 4/16/2020 12:03:08 AM
Customer
Do you see the photo? Not sure if I am doing it right
Customer
The middle of the tail looks raggedy
Customer
Customer attachment 4/16/2020 12:04:36 AM
Customer
Sorry Anna- I didn't introduce myself. I am Joanne

Hi Joanne. Your pictures just came through. I’ll take a look and be right back.

Customer
Also I wasn't sure if he tore his tail on driftwood or decorations. I removed all that from tank. Put in Indian almond leaves too
Customer
Ph 7.5 around, ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrate 5 ppm
Customer
Roughly
Customer
I check water every day

Ok, that does look like fin rot. Besides being ragged, there is some whiteness on the edges, which is another symptom. It was good to remove the decorations. They do commonly tear fins that way, and then fin rot takes hold on the damaged tissue. You do a great job of keeping the tank and water optimal.

Anna is typing.

Now we have to decide what to do. The Indian Almond leaves are a folk remedy, with no real evidence that they help. Bettafix is a mild antibiotic. You could use it along with aquarium salt. If you choose that route, add one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. Some people get good results with this method, but others find they have to go with something stronger. That would be Kanaplex. You could choose just to start with it. Whichever method you decide on, also add some StressCoat to the water to help restore his slime coat. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

You can decide which protocol you are more comfortable with. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help.

Customer
I had heard betta fix hurts thier labyrinth gland- I was hesitant in using it.
Customer
Then I was worried about using salt - how often and how much? Beta fix instructions say to use it 7 days
Customer
How many days should I start to see results? Before I might try Kanaplex
Customer
Pls advise
Customer
Btw my tank is 5gallons

I have heard those stories. You do have to be careful what you read online, especially in forums. Betta breeders and other authorities have checked intinthecrepirts and found that when Bettafix is used in poor quality water, it can cause damage. The bad chemicals in the water may be a bigger factor than the medication. Here is a good article on the subject:

https://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-real-facts-behind-bettafix-and-melafix-11248.html

It takes a long time for the fins to heal and regrow. You should see the damage stop and the whiteness on the edges clearing within 3-4 days. If you don’t, you’ll need to do a water change before switching medications.

Customer
can I check back in with you while I treat him over the next couple days or longer?
Customer
I will look into starting tomorrow
Customer
I meant I will start to treat him tomorrow
Customer
Will the salt wreck my bio filter?
Customer
Also do I feed him during treatment

Yes, you can feed him during treatment. Salt at that level doesn’t usually harm the biofilter. But if you’re leery of it, you can use less or skip it entirely.

Customer
Do I need to change the water every day during treatment? How often do I put salt in along with Bettafix
Customer
Just once with the salt?
Customer
First day?

Oh, and yes, you can check back in.Even after you rate my service, you can come back with updates and follow ups. Just keep the link to this question.

Salt us just added once. Let me double check the instructions on Bettafix. Be right back. .

Customer
Thanks so much Anna!
Customer
One more question- from the picture of him would you say the fin rot is mild, moderate or severe?

You’re welcome. The instructions on the bottle state that you can use it every day for 7 days before doing a beater change. But of course, test the water to make sure no bad chemicals are building up. Then you’ll need to do a water change. At this point, I would say it is mild.

Customer
Thank you ��

You’re very welcome.

Customer
Hi Anna - I was going to start my treatment around noon today. Test water parameters- if constant as yesterdays parameters- move forward with treatment. Keep in mind I have a 5 gallon tank. Here is what I was thinking about. At noon take 1quart of aquarium water dissolve 4 rounded teaspoons in it and put back into aquarium. (My api aquarium salt says 1/2tsp for every gallon). Then a few hours later maybe 3pm- I will take 1 gallon out- put the 12.5ml betta fix in that to dilute it and put back into tank. Then at 5pm add stress coat directly to tank( for repairs - double normal amount). Which should be 5ml. What do you think of my plan?
Customer
Here is picture this morning- would you know if the red part of his fins is his normal color or that a sign of finrot too?
Customer
Customer attachment 4/16/2020 1:53:44 PM

Joanne, this just arrived. That means you can close that second question you posted this morning, so you won’t be charged for it. You have an excellent treatment plan. Since you were a little uneasy about the salt, it’s good that you’re going with the smaller amount. There are different recommendations for different diseases, with some going even higher than a teaspoon per gallon, but those require a meter to measure the concentration to keep it just right. We don’t want to go to such extremes in most cases. What you’re planning is perfect.

I believe the red on his fins is normal. Fin rot doesn’t usually cause redness. Ammonia toxicity does do that, but we know you have no ammonia. I wouldn’t worry about that coloring. I hope all goes well with your plan.

Anna

Customer
Okay how should I close the second question? Should I call the help line?

I can’t close it for you, but I can send it to Customer Service for a refund if you request it. That will accomplish the same thing.

Customer
Okay thank you Anna
You’re welcome. It’s taken care of.
Customer
Thanks a lot!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.