My fish seems to have a bit of fun rot, but looking back on pictures it seemed to have started before I got him. I try

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi! My fish seems to have a bit of fun rot, but looking back on pictures it seemed to have started before I got him. I try to change 50% of his water on even weeks and 100% of his water (including rinsing all of his aquarium toys) on odd weeks. He also has a small filter in his tank. He is a betta fish and he also flares his fins a lot around his normal feeding times. I’m not sure if he’s using it as a sign to say he’s hungry or if something else is wrong.
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A betta fish
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the betta fish's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: the fun toy I’ve noticed over the past few weeks which is why I’ve been trying to actively keep the water clean for him. The flaring you’re started last week or the week before. He stops glaring when we feed him.
JA: When was the betta fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: Fin rot**
JA: What's the betta fish's name and age?
Customer: He’s never been seen by a vet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** I got him on January 13th if this year.
Answered by Anna in 17 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem.Unfortunately, fin rot is very common in bettas. You’re probably right that it began before you got him. In some bettas, it even becomes a chronic problem and they require treatment every so often. In others, no treatment seems to help, and they eventually die. There are some things you can do to try to help Fillet. I’m going to type them up for you, and will be back as soon as I finish. I appreciate your patience.

Customer
Thank you

You’re welcome, and thank you for waiting. You’re on the right track with water changes, but clean water is so important that testing is also needed. The most harmful chemicals are invisible and often are present in crystal clear water. I recommend that you buy an API Master Test Kit for fresh water. If that’s not possible, most pet stores will test for free if you bring in a sample of your tank water in a clean glass jar. Ammonia and nitrites need to be at zero. Nitrates should be 20 ppm or less. If those standards are not met, even more frequent water changes are needed.

There are three products you can add to the tank to fight fin rot. Start with aquarium salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water. StressCoat and Bettafix are the other two. Just follow the label instructions on these last two. Most of the time this combination will clear up fin rot. If it doesn’t, you may need to go to a stronger medicine, like Kanaplex. But it’s always better to start with milder options first.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I hope a Fillet will reach a full recovery.

Customer
I will try those options and see how that helps.What do you think is causing his flare ups? He is in a cylinder style tank to prevent him from seeing his own reflection, so I don't know what could be causing him to get aggressive. Any ideas?

Some bettas just flare for no reason. Some do it as a way to impress their humans with their size, just as they would another betta. He may be using that because he thinks it causes you to feed him. At any rate, flaring is never a sign of illness.

Customer
Should I be concerned if he is over flaring? Like possibly stress related?

The only time he should be flaring out of stress would be if he felt another male was intruding on his territory. If that results in constant flaring, it could stress him out. I have never seen a betta flare so constantly as to cause stress related health problems. If it’s only at feeding time, it’s certainly nothing to worry about. Some people report that their bettas flare because they are bored. They give them a hiding place or put a toy, such as a ping pong ball in the tank.

Customer
Okay. Thank you! I think you’ve answered all of my questions.
You’re very welcome!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.