To lower nitrite and nitrate level, would you recommend to use this product I found on Amazon? This product got very

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: To lower nitrite and nitrate level, would you recommend to use this product I found on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-NiteOutII-Aquariums-16-Ounce-Packaging/dp/B00176ENNG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8This product got very good reviews to control nitrite and nitrate level but not sure if it's good for my turtles and fish.
Answered by Anna in 3 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Customer
Also if this product works so well, what's the reason to use bio filters?
Customer
Also found this product, please let me know if this one would be better than the one above. https://www.amazon.com/API-Nitrifying-Aquarium-Maintains-Biological/dp/B006YG12F6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=51AWC179SGCP&keywords=nitrate+lower+aquarium&qid=1573587908&sprefix=nitrite+lower%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-7
Hello again,Neither of those products will work miracles, but it can’t hurt anything to try them. Both are basically the same thing. They are concentrated forms of the nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites, then nitrites to nitrates. Most fish keepers who use them are not very impressed. Nothing can take the place of a properly cycled tank with good filtration. That being said, there is nothing in the products that can hurt your turtles or fish, so you can go ahead and give them a try.Something that may be a big problem for you is that turtle tanks usually don’t really become cycled. Turtles produce too much waste for colonies of bacteria to keep up with. Fish tanks are another story, and we usually do get them cycled. With turtle tanks, though, we have to rely on powerful mechanical filtration (like the canisters we talked about before) and frequent, large water changes.But to answer your question directly, both products are equally good and will not harm your animals.Anna
Customer
I read many articles saying to replace 25% of tank water but is it bad to replace more like 60% or even complete water change?

In an uncycled tank, it’s ok to replace as much as you need to in order to maintain water quality. In a turtle tank, that can be 100% of the water. 25% fir fish tanks is usually recommended so as to not upset cycling. But when there is ammonia or nitrites in high concentration, we just do whatever it takes.

Customer
If I put a lot of water plants, will that help a lot?
Water plants use ammonia and nitrites as food, so they can help. You do have to be sure to clean out any fallen off portions of the plants and any Brien leaves and stems. Dead plant parts decay and add more bad chemicals. Your turtles, especially as they grow, are likely to eat and tear up plants, so you do need to be aware of that.
Customer
Thank you
Customer
One last question, is it better to have crushed coral in the tank to keep bacteria on them or better not to have them to keep the tank water clean? Some expert said that it's better not to have any substrate to keep the water quality cleaner because you can clean the tank better.

When dealing with turyles, I find it best to use no substrate. It makes it easier to clean and do big water changes. This is another reason it's best to keep fish and turtles separate. Fish tanks do better with substrate. It gives the bacteria colonies another place to grow. With both types of animals in one tank, I would go with no substrate.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.