My pond- fancy fantail Japanese Goldfish is on her side. She can’t upright herself. This started late winter, before

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My pond- fancy fantail Japanese Goldfish is on her side. She can’t upright herself. This started late winter, before they began eating this spring. She is eating now..may have swim bladder. She is not floating on the surface. Mostly lays on the bottom. Would a salt bath help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the goldfish. What is the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: Kristen age 20 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kristen?
Customer: I did change their diet,...duckweed, freeze dried blood worms and pellets with krill
Answered by Anna in 8 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I’m sorry to hear about this problem.Salt baths don’t usually help with swim bladder problems, though if done correctly, they won’t hurt. It would be best to remove Kristen from the pond and into an isolation tank to make treatment easier. If you don't have an aquarium to use, you can use a large container, such as a big Rubbermaid tote. Be sure that the water is the same temperature as is in the pond, and that it is dechlorinated. If she will eat, give her a couple of thawed out frozen peas with the skins removed. If the peas are too large, you can smash them between your fingers before putting them in. In the hospital tank you can use salt in a different way. You can add one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Most table salt contains additives that are toxic, so unless sodium chloride is the only ingredient, stick to aquarium salt. When you can get to a pet store, you can purchase a triple antibiotic food labeled safe for goldfish. That can help in some cases.Unfortunately, swim bladder disorder is very common in fancy goldfish. Constipation can put pressure on the bladder, leading it to malfunction. Peas can help with that.Salt simply helps fish cope with stress, and can make swimming easier. Infection can also cause swim bladder problems, and that is where the medicated food comes in. Finally, the swim bladder can rupture. If that happens, no treatment will work. I hope that isn’t what happened.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help. I hope Kristen will reach a full recovery.If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your fish will be one of the lucky ones that survive this condition.Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.