My hedgehog has been getting several abscesses recently and I’m not sure of the cause - nothing in her bedding or

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My hedgehog has been getting several abscesses recently and I’m not sure of the cause - nothing in her bedding or environment has changed, I keep it quite clean. I’m suspecting that it’s because I added vitamin E to her bath once because it’s been so dry and she’s been itching, but I’m not sure if I should re-bathe her with no additives to help or not. She still has some abscesses that are being treated with Enrofloxacin.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your hedgehog's name and age?
Customer: Pippin, 2 years 11 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pippin?
Customer: Eating and drinking well, exercise and activity levels have not changed despite the abscesses. I check regularly for new lumps and haven’t found anything other than these abscesses. They’re located on her right rear limb, left front limb, and on her inguinal area to the left of the anus. The first one on the leg has previously burst on its own and I’ve been keeping it clean with dilute betadine. The last two were said to resolve on their own and since she’s been on the Enrofloxacin they have gone down, but the one on the left front limb is the newest and was not seen on exam on Thursday.
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech over 35 years and have a special interest in small exotic.

I suspect the Hedgehog has a Bacterial dermatitis. This compounded with the dry itchy skin would cause the anscesses.Since she is scratching it is leaving openingsd for the bacteria to grow anc cause an abscess.

I am hesitant to suggest any bathing becuse of spines rotting. What I suggest seeing a Vet aboutthe Dry skin and itching as well as well as what I think is Bacterial dermatitis causing the abscess.

Please reply to discuss this information or concerns.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.