We have an adorable hedgehog who is 3 years old. The last 2-3 days we noticed that she has not been eating, drinking

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi we have an adorable hedgehog who is 3 years old. The last 2-3 days we noticed that she has not been eating, drinking very little water and has not been on her wheel. She also feels cooler than normal. What can we do for her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the hedgehog's name?
Customer: Hedgie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hedgie?
Customer: Today we notice she is sneezing a little and is wobbly. Hard for her to walk.
Answered by Jav917 in 6 hours 3 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for over 35 years.

A Hedgehog that is not drinking will not eat. If it is not drinking, you could be facing dehydration which is very dangerous to any small animal.

What I suggest is trying a Treat like a cricket ot meal worm which a Hedgehog that is feeling well would not turn down. If it turns it down, then the Hedgehog is sick.

Since this seems to be going on for 3 days I suggest a Vet visit tomorrow to be seen. % days and not enough fluids, can be deadly.

Please reply to discuss this information and for any questions or clarification.

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan, I just spent some time responding to your comment to find out it disappeared when I tried to send it to you. Very FRUSTRATING to say the least. When I was concerned about my daughter's hedgehog last night, I gladly paid the $5 membership fee. But I didn't hear anything for hours. When I tried to answer the techs questions, she kept referring to my cat (which I don't have). Unfortunately, our little Hedgie died late last night and I had not heard from anyone at that point. I would like a full refund of my $5, only because I did not get the help I needed when I needed it. Thanks Penny

I am sorry for your Experience. Your Question was lost in the Veterinary Category for hours before it was moved to the Pet category where I can answer. The first contact you made was with a Virtual assistant/a bot.

By the time the question was placed in my area which is Small Pets/Dogs/ Cats/Reptiles/ Birds. As soon as I saw the question I knew the urgency and responded. I am sorry for the loss. Small exotics are prey animals and hide illness well, but when they stop drinking or eating that is the first sign and at tat point they need hands on help. We have a limited time. I really tried to assist you and I am very sorry I coud not help save your little Hedgehog.

My sincerest condolences.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.