I have a fancy goldfish, it’s body length is about 3 inches and normally resides in a 125 gallon goldfish only tank. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I have a fancy goldfish, it’s body length is about 3 inches and normally resides in a 125 gallon goldfish only tank. I have 8 other goldfish in the same tank with most being about 1.5 to 2 inches in size, do regular water changes, have multi sources of filtration and it’s an established tank for a year now. Two weeks ago Poseidon, my big fish developed a raised hump just past the top of his head and then that ridge ended up becoming to “ulcers” or at least they resemble ulcers. As soon as that happened I moved him to an isolated hospital tank we keep for any such issues. So I want to note that he was swimming very normally like he usually does but several days ago he’s presented behavior that resembles swim bladder issues. Something I’m familiar with since my silly female oranda (Fiona) from time to time has SB issues which are easily resolved with shelled green peas, Anyway Poseidon was first lying at the bottom of the ER tank upside down I fed only green peas 3 days in a row and have fasted since, today is day 2 for fasting. His “ulcers” are improving but his swim ability is now lying sideways at the bottom of the ER tank. Oh and the ER tank is currently only 11” deep because I read that shallow water is easier for them to move around? Less pressure? Not sure but worth trying. Lastly regular water changes for the ER tank with water that has sat covered and heat matched so there shouldn’t be a PH change or issues with improper water temp shock. So I’m wanting to know if I can treat any of this or any possible way to bring him back around to healthy? He’s such an awesome fish and I don’t want him to be miserable. Oh I almost forgot I have added aquarium salt to help with slime coat, buoyancy and reducing stress, salt added at recommend dosage of 1tbs per 5 gallons.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Might be a kidney problem. The Expert will figure out how to help the goldfish. What is the goldfish's name?
Customer: Poseidon.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Poseidon?
Customer: Nothing other than usually he is a very healthy active fish. I’m also very careful with his diet and don’t feed only goldfish flakes and the few flakes they may get are pre soaked and don’t feed off the surface.
Answered by Anna in 24 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. You have a very frustrating problem because you have done everything right, but haven’t been getting good results. Sometimes swim bladder problems are caused by infection. It’s not common, but it does happen. In that case, it can be treated with antibiotics. Melafix is a gentle one you might want to try.A worst case scenario is that the swim bladder has ruptured. There is no home cure for that, but sometimes a vet can surgically repair it.I would try the Melafix and see if he responds to it. I hope he will.
Customer
Ugh, I used the Melafix for the sores on his head but at that time he was swimming normally. Well it’s good to know I’ve done the right things. Does the swim bladder issue cause him any pain? That’s the last thing I want for him, he’s one of my fish babies and deserves only the best.
It’s probably not painful, but it is uncomfortable. Perhaps worst of all, it is disorienting and confusing to a fish to not be able to control his own body. I understand your feelings. Goldfish are my favorites. They have so much personality.If you want me to, I can see if there is a fish vet near you. But I’ll warn you before I start that aquatic vets are not common. If you happen to live in California, it’s easier to find one. If you want me to check directories, just give me your location.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see how Poseidon is doing. Is there anything else you need?

Anna

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.