Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a mouse I bought at a pet store 5 HOURS ago and

I have a young...

I have a young mouse I bought at a pet store 5 HOURS ago and except for a couple of minutes, will not stop running on her wheel?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the mouse?

5 hours running?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the mouse seem to hurt?

Seems fine, otherwise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the mouse eating normally?

Yeah

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the mouse having trouble peeing or pooing?

No, not drinking much though.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the mouse behaving differently?

Running for 5 hours straight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the mouse's name and age?

Loca, and young, but not sure how young.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the mouse?

Red eyes with sable coat.

7/12/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. Will you give me an update on how your companion is at this time so that I can move forward with addressing your concern?

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
I went to sleep at 4, but I just checked on her and she stopped to greet me. Then back on the wheel

You've chosen an animal that tends to be active. If she did not have a wheel that she could use regularly or one that worked well for her, she may be burning off pent-up energy. Additionally, high amounts of exercise are common in younger animals, so this may be entirely normal for her. So long as she's happily running and doesn't seem affected by the exercise, I'd permit her to enjoy her exercise and simply monitor her. There's the strong potential that she may exercise less in the days to come once she's had a chance to exercise regularly. You may also want to provide more mental stimulation for her, such as offering tubes to play in (like paper towel tubes or bigger PVC pipe lengths) and toys. She may also fancy a wide selection of nuts and seeds to work on when eating, which can provide mental stimulation, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply before rating so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. My focus is to ensure that you have received a great value for the expense of using this service. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Ok. Thank you.