Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Trying to find someone to answer a question about a large…

Trying to find someone...

Trying to find someone to answer a question about a large goldfish I think may have a problem. cant find a veterinarian who deals with fish. im in Torrance, ca.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the goldfish?

Got 3 from my sister when she moved. they are about 6-7 inches long but had started out as feeder fish and they have had a number of years. one has been growing fatter and fatter for a couple of months and looks like a blip. just discovered 3-4 tiny fish, but the large one just keeps growing so I wonder if a lot of eggs are lodged inside and she needs help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the goldfish's name and age?

They did not have names and I don't know ages but we could say 5 plus years and call her momfish.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?

It is a goldfish.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Momfish?

As I said over 5 years. got 3 from my sister when they moved.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Momfish?

Only what i stated. all 3 have been doing well last 6 months in their new home - 225 gallon outdoor pond.

7/12/2018
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner ( that was a virtual assistant you were dealing with before). Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear that Momfish is having a problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Is she eating well?Are her scales sticking up, giving her a pine cone- like appearance?Is the swelling all over her body, or mostly toward the back?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
They are all 3 eating well. New uv filter and better shade so water hyacinths growing healthy and places for babies to hide so I don't know how long there may have been others that were devoured. This fish looks like it swallowed a balloon which was then inflated. Almost perfectly round, now, and about double the width it was 6 months ago. Don't notice scales sticking out as you described.
Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds like you have a lovely pond. It's a good sign the scales aren't sticking out, as that, when accompanied by bloating, is often a sign of kidney failure. Egg binding does cause bloating, but several other conditions do, too. However, I'm going to go to work on information on what to do when egg binding occurs. I'll be back with that as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you.

Thank you for waiting.

A daily Epsom salts bath is the usual treatment for egg binding. A bath is when we place a fish in a more concentrated solution of a medicine for a short period of time. Most goldfish keepers use 1 tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water, and leave the fish in it for 15 minutes each day. This can sometimes help a fish resorb the eggs. Make sure the bath temperature is the same as the water she lives in, and that chlorine has been removed. If you can set up a hospital tank for her, you can also use Maracyn in her hospital tank for her to prevent infection.

If Momfish is eating well and doesn't seem to be in distress, it's possible she will eventually resorb the eggs on her own. If she seems ill, of course, that isn't going to happen.

Some keepers try to massage the eggs out of a fish, but that may kill her outright if the eggs are not ripe. Koi breeders do handstrip eggs from their breeding females sometimes, but it has to be done when the eggs are ripe and ready to be expelled anyway. If you think Momfish is at that point, I recommend reading about the procedure on the following website before trying it:

http://www.koiandponds.com/dry-fertilization.htm

I don't recommend handstripping, but wanted to mention it in case you have read about it.

A vet could inject hormones that induce egg laying. Most common is pituitary extract, but there are two other hormones that are used to induce spawning. They are luteinizing release hormone and HCG ( a human hormone). All of the hormones are by prescription only, and have to be obtained from a an aquatic vet. The hormones are injected. You can read more about them here:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Dystocia.htm

Though the sites I've given you are about koi, the same information applies to goldfish.

I'm going to try to find an aquatic vet for you. They are few and far between, but I'll be back shortly.

I checked several directories, and unfortunately, this was the closest one I could find:

Diane E McClure Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Western U College of Vet Med

Species Treated:
Pet Fish
Food & Game Fish
Laboratory

309 E. Second Street

Pomona CA, 91766

You might want to check with local vets to see if one of them would be willing to consult by phone with the fish vet to treat Momfish. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. If you can't find a way to get veterinary help, your best bet is to try the Epsom salts baths. I wish you success with them.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you, Anna. I tried several local vets with whom I am familiar and they could not help with fish. I also called Asahi Koi, but they were not open. (I got 10 koi 11-22" long, for which I had to dig a pond. The goldfish are in an oval neoprene tank 3'x5'x20".) I can try them again, with this information in hand and also another vet who has Wednesdays off, and might be willing to consult. If no luck, I will try the bath by using water from the pond and floating her in a container.
I will be happy to give you five stars.
Regards,
June
You're welcome, June. I believe the link to rate is near the top of the page you see.I hope Momfish will be fine.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist