Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

A baby sparrow was on the sidewalk and I raise it in a box…

A baby sparrow was...

A baby sparrow was on the sidewalk and I raise it in a box and once it started to fly I let it go. Well, it was very hot and the next day "Hope" the sparrow came to find me. I fed Hope and let her go... Hope kept coming back and I kept feeding her. My problem is that we have dogs and it is stressful to watch for the dogs and she is also become very needy when she sees me. She come to me and starts to peck me... I can scold her, but I am thinking that it would be best if Hope became independent. Can I leave her at a pond that is about a half a mile away so she can be free of my influence, or do I slowly stop feeding her? Vicky

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Hope the sparrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

She is about six weeks old and is healthy and flies around outside in the trees around the patio

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Vicky.

You're experiencing one of the reasons we recommend that the general public avoid helping orphaned animals outside of finding an animal rehabilitation center for them: While we can effectively raise them, we also encourage them to become dependant on humans for help. There may be little hope for Hope to be released on her own recognizance to be an independent bird. What I would do at this point is try to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area who can take Hope and work with her on becoming an independent animal. If this is not possible, the rehabber may be able to find her a location at a zoo, park, education program, sanctuary or similar outlet which will make it possible for her to live out her days in a relatively wild manner without full dependency on people. I would recommend visiting http://www.ahnow.org You'll be able to view rehabbers near you and be able to search for those who help wild avians.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply before rating so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. My focus is to ensure that you have received a great value for the expense of using this service. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I really don't care for you answer, but I guess that is the best you can do. So, there is no program to "ween" a health bird to feed itself... okay.