Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

August! My canary is doing well but she sleeps on the

Customer Question
Hello Dr August! My canary...
Hello Dr August! My canary is doing well but she sleeps on the ground. Is there any thing wrong because I am so worried. She was also recovered from a respiratory infection for about a week and she is now doing good but sleeping on the ground.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pet
5/25/2018
Pet Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org replied 2 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org

Did she get a course of meds for the respiratory infection? What was the diagnosis and the medication?

Is she still eating and making droppings? Are they normal in size, color and amount?

The veterinarian said only give her the medicine 5 days. The medication was Ornicure. I realized that she was making dropping more than before so I took out the cucumbers and apples because I thought she had a diarrhea.
Thank you so much for replying Dr August

I'll do what I can to help - please stand by while I type

Thank you so much, I sure will

I appreciate your patience and am very worried along with you given that these symptoms are considered serious.

I don't know if your vet diagnosed air sac mites, bacterial, fungal or other type of infection - but understand wanting to at least try a course of antibiotic (Ornicure is Doxycycline). Despite your little one seeming fine except for being at cage bottom - she's truly not.

Birds, even the smallest, sweetest canaries, have a 65 million year history of survival that even gigantic dinosaurs couldn't get through. Your little one is an age old expert at what's called 'masking'. Hiding pain, illness, disease, weakness and all of that - with incredible strength. By the time we see symptoms, like going to the cage bottom, it means something has been wrong for a while and she's possibly losing her battle to fight to pretend to be fine

She needs to see her doctor - or at least a vet who is fully knowledgeable in bird care (most of his patients are birds)

A crop swab must be taken in order to culture it and figure out whether we have a bacteria or a fungus, maybe a virus or even air sac mites. We need a better work up or at least one a bit more definitive.

Right now you need to make her a hospital room ok?

Use an appropriately sized box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts. It should be like a ‘nest’ for your bird, not too big. Tuck in more materials to make an oversized box ‘smaller’ on the inside if necessary.

Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths. The heat should last a couple of hours and even though it’s dry, raw rice - it’s a moist heat. You can use two socks if you feel it’s appropriate.

A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (approx. 90 degrees F, 32.2 C). If you use the heating pad - I’d only use one rice sock, if any at all. Be sure you only put the heating pad underneath ½ of the cage bottom so the bird has the option of moving to a ‘cooler’ side.

If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.

Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.

You might also want to put a vaporizer in the area - no meds in it. The warm, steamy air is helpful for just about anything that might be wrong. Not a cure, but helpful.
*************************************

Make sure food and water are provided (shallow bowls) but focus more on rest and heat.

You got this? I'll be here for you when you get back from having her seen - we'll work together

Thank you so much Dr August. I will go to her veterinarian and hopefully he knows the reason and give her medication. Meanwhile, I will make for her an another hospital room as you said in steps . Thank you so much for helping me through this hard time. I really want to give my canary the best life possible.

Just checking in with you. How are you and the little one doing? I'm still here for you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS