Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My dogs when starts to eat they simply start having

Good evening, my dogs when...
Good evening, my dogs when starts to eat they simply start having diarrhea. I’ve already did the 24 hour fasting and only gave them rice water and probiotics. They did well on it, stopped. But when starts to eat again, on the second meal they will start again their diarrhea. What else can I do? Is they any medicine I can give them? Is there any chance that they got inflammation going inside their intestines?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they been starting shading on their sides (lower). When it started their diarrhea also came along. I’m not sure if they got bitten by any insects or is because of fleas or thicks, but they got their drops every month.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

What flea prevention are you using?

Are you continuing the bland diet until the stool has been normal for 3-5 days or only using it until they're no longer having diarrhea then switching back to their regular food?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, thank you so much! I’ve stopped to feed them kibble for months already. I’m sure they been eating trash, but I’m not sure what was that because it often happens when I walk them. Here at home, sometimes they dig into the trash bin. Few weeks ago they ate a zip bag and there inside was egg shells powder mixed with nutritional yeast. I’m using the ‘Petaction Plus’. I just give them blend diet for only two meals they I’ll switch back to their normal food.

The switching back to their regular food without leaving them on the bland diet is probably why they are still having diarrhea. The best approach is to leave them on a bland diet for an extended period of time until the diarrhea has cleared for 3-5 days. At that time, you can very slowly switch them back to their regular diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If this does not permit a resolution to their symptoms or they begin showing other signs of concern (lethargy, vomiting, nausea, etc) they both need to see your vet for diagnostics. As far as prevention goes the best approach I can recommend for avoiding GI upset is to keep them away from all trash on walks and all access to the trash bin at home. This may require extra vigilance on your part but should result in less risk of GI concerns.

As far as the fur loss on their sides, be sure they are on a flea prevention and watch for scratching or chewing. Conditions like fleas and allergies are very common this time of year and can lead to shedding in this area. That being said, some dogs with more dense coats will begin shedding on their sides before they lose fur over the rest of their body. If they reach a point of baldness here, however, they do need to see your vet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! But I work on shifts and will be out from home for at least 9 hours. In this case what can I do?

That should be no problem. When you are next at home make the diet I mentioned above. They will only need a short introduction this evening to the food. Come tomorrow morning you can resume feeding like normal but using the bland diet we discussed above.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you so much!