Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My goldfish is not eating and he’s sitting at the bottom of…

Customer Question
Hi, my goldfish is...

Hi, my goldfish is not eating and he’s sitting at the bottom of the tank a lot. He is able to swim around and does come up when I approach the tank so I don’t believe it’s a swim bladder issue. I’ve also tested his water and all the parameters are good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your goldfish's name and age?

Michael, I believe he’s just over 1. I’ve had him for about a year now He also hasn’t grown at all in the time I’ve had him He’s in a 55 gallon tank with 8 danios and a rubber nose pleco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Michael?

No, everything looks normal with him. No spots, streaks, or fin issues

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
Just wanted to add that in terms of food, he usually gets a mixture of goldfish and vegetarian tropical flakes and some pellets. Since he stopped eating about a week ago, I’ve also tried peas for constipation but he won’t eat that either. Today I bought him some of the bug bite food, which is supposed to be irresistible for fish but he didn’t eat any of it. He swims up and around the food but doesn’t eat anything.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My.

name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with fish over 40 years.

What size tank do you have ?

Filtration?

Have you checked water parameters?

What is the Ammonia, Nitites, Nitrates and PH?

What type of test kit is used?

Joan

55 gallons, all water parameters are good and have been since I set up the tank. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at 0. Ph 7.
I think I’ve provided any additional info you might need in my original question.

I was thinking this could be a water parameter issue based on the symptoms. If you feel that is not a problem, I will opt out since I have no other thoughts on this to help with the problem. I will open it up to other Experts.

Joan

I’m sure its not a water parameter issue.