Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

There is a sick raccoon in my backyard but I am not sure…

There is a sick...

There is a sick raccoon in my backyard but I am not sure what he has... I have been reading about rabies or distemper and I am not sure what he has.... the issue is not that he is here in the patio because he walks very slow and he is not aggressive... the issue is I feed about 10 cats and now I think they might get what he has....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

In the raccoons or the cats?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the raccoon's name and age?

I have no idea... he doesn’t seem to be young

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the raccoon?

He is very letargic and just showed up in my patio about a week ago... I feed all these cats in the patio and I know he has been eating there too

3/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about what you're seeing with the raccoon? Any potential for video?

I took pictures but I don’t have them anymore... he walks very slow and still eats and drink water... I got home about 3 hours ago and he has not moved from where he is... he only moves his head but he has not walked at all

Is he injured?

How long has he been around?

He was drinking water this morning

Is he injured?

How long has he been around?​

is he contagious to the cats I feed outside?
are you still there?

I am typing. One moment.

It really depends on what is wrong with him. The biggest concern is going to be rabies. I am concerned that one of the pictures shows him asleep but in daylight. We prefer to see raccoons hiding and sleeping during the day. A change in his normal behavior can certainly be a symptom of both rabies and distemper, as well. Rabies is a virus that we most often see transmitted via saliva through bites. If the cats are not being bitten, it's unlikely that they would acquire rabies. Additionally, if they have been vaccinated against rabies the risk is reduced greatly. The distemper virus would be more likely to transmit to dogs rather than cats.

Raccoons truly should not be in close quarters with people and domestic animals if it can be avoided. I would give strong consideration to contacting a wildlife rehab center in your area to collect him. Animal control may also be willing, though they may be more apt to euthanize than a wildlife rehab center would. Would you like help finding one? If so, I need your city and state.

please... Miami, FL

Give me a few moments to do some research for you.

thank you. The cats outside are “fixed” but I am not sure if they have been vaccinated against rabbies
the raccoon has been pooping in the patio but I have picked it up... I am not sure if they have “share” the dry food I give them

Most clinics (especially TNR clinics) will vaccinate against rabies when an animal is altered. Luckily, Miami has quite a few options for you:

1) http://www.dadewildliferescue.com
2) http://www.southfloridawildlifecenter.org
3) http://wlrn.org/post/south-florida-wildlife-rehabilitation
4) http://www.fwra.org/wildliferehab.html

When you call, I would explain that it looks like you have a sick or injured raccoon on your property. It gets close enough for people to interact with it.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you. So you don’t think if they have shared food the cats can get sick? they don’t get close to him at all but I am worried if they have shated food or water
shared
or if the cats walked near his poop

I'm more worried about the potential of rabies having been transmitted through fights/bites. The CDC focuses primarily on saliva transmission through the skin as a major component for developing the virus. In theory, through the mouth (shared food) could happen but it would be unlikely. More info here: https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/index.html and a quote from their site:

"Transmission of rabies virus usually begins when infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal. The most common mode of rabies virus transmission is through the bite and virus-containing saliva of an infected host. Though transmission has been rarely documented via other routes such as contamination of mucous membranes (i.e., eyes, nose, mouth), aerosol transmission, and corneal and organ transplantations. :"

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you.
How do I rate the call?
I just saw it.
Thank you for your help!

Sure thing. Best of luck!