Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My aunts ferret all of a sudden has no use of her back legs…

Customer Question
My aunts ferret all...

My aunts ferret all of a sudden has no use of her back legs and has a glazed look in her eyes is there anything we can do? Dont think any vets in the area take ferrets. She is still trying to move ariund with her front legs but really has no strength.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the ferret?

Like i said she lost all use of her back legs. She can move around with her front legs but she is very weak i dont know if she had a stroke or what to do but we dont want her to suffer nit sure what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the ferret seem to hurt?

My aunt says she just has a glazed look in her eyes and cant move her back legs at all but doesnt seem to wince in pain she just seems out of it i guess

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the ferret. What is the ferret's name and age?

Olive and she will be 4yrs next month

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olive?

She said a few weeks ago she said olive had a bump on her front leg but my aunt said it went away

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Pet
3/27/2018
Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 29 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.​

Loss of rear limb function is absolutely a serious sign of illness in ferrets. Olive needs to see a vet. In what city and state is she located?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Chillicothe IL

Peoria is likely going to be the closest location that has a veterinarian that sees exotics. Try PAVG: https://pavg.net/service-category/exoticpets/ Your call will likely be re-routed to Tricounty that can see her after hours.

You can learn more here on rear limb loss of function: http://www.walkervillevet.com.au/ferret-leg-weakness/ A great many illnesses can cause this concern from kidney stones to heart disease to adrenal problems. She will need to have diagnostics performed to determine what is going on and how she can be treated. I do want to mention that a fair percentage of ferrets, once treated, will regain usage of their legs so euthanasia is not required in all cases. I would, at very least, have x-rays and bloodwork performed before making that decision, if she were my girl.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 28 days ago

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Olive doing today? Were you guys able to get her in to see Tricounty or PAVG? How is she currently?

Pet Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 27 days ago

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse