Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

How do you split up a 250 mg amoxicillin pill for a cat

Customer Question
that's 5 lb...
How do you split up a 250 mg amoxicillin pill for a cat that's 5 lb
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
3/26/2018
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Susan, there's quite a range of dosing for amoxicillin but either 50 mg per cat or 5 - 10 mg per pound of body weight once daily for 5-7 days can be found in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 9th Ed., Plumb, 2018 when addressing respiratory or gastrointestinal tract infections. Practically speaking, 1/4 of a 250 mg pill once daily is reasonable. For urinary tract infections, however, the same dose is recommended to be given every 8-12 hours for the same length of time. You can use a commerical pill splitter, sharp knife, or crush the pill into powder and divide it into 4 equal piles and mix a pile into tasty wet food or suspend it in water and give it with an eyedropper placed between your cat's cheek teeth and cheek. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you very much that will help my cat thank you for your information

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.