Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We came home to our pet bunny super limp. She is breathing…

Customer Question
We came home to...

We came home to our pet bunny super limp. She is breathing slow but normal for her. We don't have cords around her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I don't see any

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bunny's name and age?

Stella One year old. Pretty sure she was the runt. If that makes a difference

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Stella?

One

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

Just that she has been laying on me since we got home and she is keeping her eyes open and every so often kicks and tries to get up but then lays back down on her side

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
3/26/2018
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

Has she been eating and passing pellets?

How was the temperature in her enclosure was it warm?

Is she permitted to free roam?

Is she responsive to touch or your voice?

Joan

She was eating fine this morning. Not now. She did pee on me within the last hour.... I am wondering about her cage being to close to a patio door? She roams only when we are home watching her. And she kicks and moves more when we talk to her

I am going to opt out and I sent a message to another Expert and asked if she can assist you. She has bred, raised and shown rabbits for 40 years. I would like he to see i she can assist you. Her Name is Anna.

Joan

That would be appreciated. I just noticed she has drainage in one of her eyes. Pretty sure that is the cause.
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello. I'm Anna. Joan just got hold of me. I'm going to work on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'll be able to give you some ideas about what's going on, but I will let you know that the best thing you can do is get Stella to a vet. I'll be back shortly. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. The drainage from the eye is a problem, but I doubt that it is the cause of Stella being limp.

Given all the symptoms, there are a few possibilities. The first one that came to mind is what is called Floppy Rabbit Syndrome (FRS), sometimes just called 'flopsy.' It has been found in the UK, the US, and Australia. All the symptoms your rabbit exhibited are consistent with this, but it's impossible to be sure, sometimes even with a vet exam. Some rabbits have only one episode, and then never again. Some die the first time it happens. Others have repeated episodes. The condition can last from a few minutes to days. We don't know a lot about it, but there are several theories. They include eating a toxic plant, vitamin E or selenium deficiency, an inherited metabolic deficiency, atypical E. cuniculi infection, and a few others. Here is a site where you can read more about it:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vets/floppy-rabbit-syndrome-1

There are other possibilities. Rabbits do have seizures, and what Stella is suffering could be one. However, most of the time with seizures breathing continues normally. A heart condition could also cause the symptoms. So can calcium deficiency, but that generally occurs in females who are nursing babies.

Regardless of what is the cause, this is very serious. I recommend that you have Stella in for a complete exam by a vet. If you have an emergency clinic, it would be best to go in right away. If the vet there is not familiar with rabbits, you could print out the information on floppy rabbit syndrome to share. The vet can rule out heart disease, and can then proceed from there to determine the best steps for you to take. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

However, finding help tonight would be best, ***** ***** not a rabbit specialist. Until you can see a vet, make sure Stella is in a safe place. Offer her food from your hand, You can give her water from a syringe. Just place it in the side of her mouth, and release a few drops. Wait for her to swallow, then repeat. It's important to keep her hydrated.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Stella will be able to reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Hello again. I'm just checking to see how things are going with your bunny? Have you been able to see a vet? I hope Stella is ok.
We lost Stella last night. We were going to take her to the vet this morning but she didn’t make it
I'm so sorry. You did all you could under the circumstances. It's very difficult to find a vet who treats rabbits on a Sunday evening. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.