Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

He's got bloody, runny stools and squeaks all through the…

He's got bloody, runny...

He's got bloody, runny stools and squeaks all through the day and night. His diet is bell peppers, romaine lettuce, carrots and apples with hay and kibble.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Guinea pig

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Gizmo is two years old and about 2 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the guinea pig?

He's seemingly in a lot of pain

3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

How much blood are you seeing (drops or more)?

Are any of those foods new to him? What color is the pepper you are giving?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

I've been seeing these signs for a week, and just a drop or two of blood.
These foods are new to him and his gums look normal
Can I give him anything for the pain?

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care for Gizmo, especially if he is painful. It is possible we have a colitis from the new foods upsetting his normal gut microflora (which is so important for this species and when disturbed can cause gas distension of the guts which is very sore for them). But if he has had runny stools for a week, its possible that we have an underlying bacterial, viral or parasitic/protozoal agent here. Therefore, given how delicate they are, we'd be best to have him seen as soon as his vet is open and get a stool sample tested. That way we can check for those agents and ensure we clear it for him.

In the meantime I have to warn that there is no pain relief we can use for him (no safe OTC options for his species but as well we cannot use anti-inflammatories for animals with GI signs as it can worsen them). So, we need to focus on reducing diarrhea and as we do we will reduce inflammation and pain. For that, we'd start by reducing diet variety for the moment. We can bring those other veggies back once he is settled but for the moment, keep him on ad lib hay, his normal pelleted feed and add in canned pumpkin. The fiber in the last one will help firm his stools and reduce diarrhea. As well, consider getting an OTC probiotic (ie Benebac) for him. That way we can help get his gut bacteria back to normal and if he is very gassy/sore with his belly a pinch of OTC activated charcoal can be mixed with water to syringe feed and bind the gas. So, those would be our steps here to reduce gas/diarrhea to then ease his discomfort and stop the bleeding. And once his vet is open they can test a stool sample and we can start antibiotics if needed to get him back to normal.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

They can eat canned pumpkin? Like for baking pie?
what mg of activated charcoal? It's 86 mg per kg, which is equal to two pounds?

Hi again,

Yep, the very same. Though obviously avoid the one with the spices added. And I'd note that if you couldn't find that we can get away with veggie baby food (ie carrot, pea). As for activated charcoal since we are just using it for gas, use a pinch (~15-20mg) you don't need to be more specific than that since humans use 250mg for that and we are of course much bigger.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you for everything you've done for me and gizmo. I was so scared. Thank you, ***** ***** and he thanks you with squeaks too.