Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 3yr old Betta fish I think he has dropsy and lines on his…

Customer Question
My 3yr old Betta...

My 3yr old Betta fish I think he has dropsy and white lines on his fins. He's in a 15 gallon tank my himself

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the fish?

My 3yr old betta I think has dropsy and several long white lines on his lower fin. He basically stays at the right corner of the tank on his silk plant. His appetite is good. I took him to an aquarium store. They told me to 3 tablespoons of Aquarium salt in his 15 gallon and only add salt after water changes. 1TBS per 5 gallons water

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the fish seem to hurt?

Also They said Kanaplex 1.5 scoops every other day with water changes. I see no improvements

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Can I give him a Epsom salt bath an return him to his 15 gallon tank that has the Aquarium Salt and Kanaplex in it with out stressing him out further. Sry my messages are sent separately due to pop ups on my phone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the fish eating normally?

Yes! I also have been giving him a frozen pea 1/4 every other day

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the fish having trouble peeing or pooing?

I can't really tell that because he hides in his tall silk plant in the corner of the tank and it 15 gallons. An I have the temperature at 80 degrees.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the fish's name?

Baby! LOL! He is my baby. so personable. He basically doesn't swim

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

I think I covered everything. He does eat frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. My tank water has always be pristine conditions. I think it may have been caused by me turning the filyer and airpump off for awhile so he could swim and the temperatures dropped.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pet
3/25/2018
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 months ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear that Baby is sick. Will you please tell me the symptoms of dropsy you are seeing : is he bloated? Does he have scales sticking up making him look like a pine cone?Thank you.