Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My guinea pig is making weird noises (crackling) when she…

My guinea pig is...

My guinea pig is making weird noises (crackling) when she breathes. It just started but we are nervous. From our research sounds like an upper respiratory issue but we are lost? Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your guinea pig?

She's making funny noises when she breathes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your guinea pig seem to hurt?

In the stomach? While breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your guinea pig's name and age?

Chubby and 1yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chubby?

1yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chubby?

Not at this tkme

3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this about Chubby. From what you are describing I agree it sounds like an upper respiratory irritation/infection. What type of bedding does she have?

Fleece bedding and Kaytee clean & cozy in her litter box
Litter box bedding is paper I believe

Okay that's good. Thank you. If she is still eating and drinking tonight then I would schedule an appointment first thing tomorrow to go to the vet and get some antibiotics. If she is not eating then that is a life-threatening emergency for a guinea pig, and she should be seen tonight at the ER.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night!

The reason I am contacting you is bc the emergency clinic near me does not see guinea pigs and tomorrow is Sunday and our vet is closed. Are you able to write a prescription for her? She doesn't want to eat lettuce I just tried to give her.

No unfortunately it is illegal to write prescriptions without examining the pet. But I will send you the information for 2 SAFE antibiotics in guinea pigs and you can take it to any dog or cat vet that is open and they will most likely have it. Talk to them about it and see if they will understand your problem and agree to see your guinea pig as an exception even if they don't normally see them.

Thank you
Please send over that would be helpful

Trimethoprim/Sulfa (Bactrim)

Guinea pigs:

• For susceptible infections:
  • 30 mg/kg IM,PO,SC q12h x 7d. For susceptible infections without causing antibiotic-associated enterotoxemia. (O'Rourke DP 2004)
  • For bacterial pneumonia:
  • 30-50 mg/kg PO q12h x 7d. (O'Rourke DP 2004)

Baytril

Guinea pigs:

For susceptible infections:

• 10 mg/kg PO q12h. (O'Rourke DP 2004)
  • For bacterial pneumonia:
  • 5-10 mg/kg PO q12h x 7-21d. Can combine with doxycycline. (O'Rourke DP 2004)

You're welcome. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson