Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I just got my 9 month old female calico cat fixed 2 weeks…

Hi I just got...

Hi I just got my 9 month old female calico cat fixed 2 weeks ago and she was at my mother in laws for a few days where there wasn’t much for her to jump on and then after a week I brought her home and she is walking around and jumping fine but she is hiding a lot now hasn’t eaten but is drinking water and going pee but will not eat much I have her a few pieces of sliced turkey because I know she loves it and she ate a little bit and hasn’t gone to the bathroom hutbis now throwing up what do I do ?!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Nope, I just am worried because it looks like she is losing weight and she isn’t eating but is throwing up fo***** *****quid

3/23/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your kitty. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. Is there any possibility that she could have got into something around the home i.e. plants, string, new treats, toxins etc? Did this start when she was at your mother in laws house or when you brought her home? How many days has she been sick?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello thank you for your help there hasn’t been any thing around the house she had gotten into, my mother in law said she was eating and going to the bathroom just fine, but once I brought her home she started acting weird, is hiding won’t let me or my husband touch her just to see if she is okay. I have only had her home a week now she ate a little bit of wet kitty food not much which she usually gobbles up and she ate a little bit of turkey today but won’t go to the bathroom

Thank you for the information. Cats typically heal very quickly following a spay, much faster than dogs. I don't think that this is related to the spay, unless you happen to examine her incision and it appears red, moist or with abnormal discharge. I sounds like this might be a separate issue. My biggest concern at this point is hydration and weight loss. If she has not been eating and drinking well for about a week to the point where she is noticeably losing weight, then she is likely dehydrated as well. She is probably not passing stool because she is not eating enough in order to do so.

My recommendation to you would be to have her examined. I would schedule a follow up appointment with your veterinarian to have her spay incision checked, hydration checked and possibly get treated for nausea and stomach upset. typing more...

It will be very important to make sure that there is not an infection present. If all appears well with the incision, they we have to focus on the gastrointestinal tract, Ensure that there is no foreign body as young cats can easily ingest unwanted items and treat her symptoms. Sometimes these cats are treated with fluids, antinausea meds etc and are back on track in no time...as long as there is nothing serious going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does not look like her incision is infected or anything, like I said she is jumping and moving around but she just moves to one hiding spot to another and then she will come lay at the bottom of my feet for a few minutes until I look at her and then she runs away. Is there anything I can do to get her to eat or drink until I am able to get her checked. Work schedule is crazy and honestly can’t afford a vet visit right this minute.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you want to try something at home first, you can certainly try to give her 2.5 mg of Pepcid AC, Famotidine every 12 hours to help with stomach upset. It comes in 10 mg tablets. You can also try to offer small amounts of chicken gerber baby food. I understand the cost concern. Maybe start with this approach first, give her few days and see how things go.
If you are happy with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated. Also, Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so please contact me with any questions or concerns that you may have. I am really glad that her incision looks good and that that she is active.

Please keep me posted.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where can I find those medicines ? And if it is a tablet, how will I get her to eat it ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you’ve been a great help, I am a nervous wreck, I just buried my first cat today he was 11 broke my heart and I don’t want to see my female sick now especially because I don’t know how she is feeling and I don’t know what is wrong with her .

I am so incredibly sorry. That is so difficult. I remember losing my first cat. It is so heartbreaking. Just take it one day at a time. Make sure that she is drinking water and is not becoming lethargic and depressed. Of course I am going to be concerned if she is not drinking or eating and seems very lethargic and withdrawn. Do you think that she was stressed out about the situation with your other cat. Was he really sick? Did they get along? As far as the medications, you can purchase it at any pharmacy or grocery store in the antacid section. You might have to dip it in a little moist food or chicken gerber baby food and put it in her mouth and rub her throat. You can always try to offer the baby food first and see if she is willing to eat that first. If you do have to pill her sometimes it helps to wrap her in a towel so that she doesn't scratch you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My male cat was at my moms house I left him behind when me and my husband moved, but I think she might also be stressed out because we just bought a house and she stayed with my mother in law for a few days while we were moving in and then she cane here for a few days and then she got fixed went back to my mother in laws and now she is here.. do you think that the different moves screwed her up and she is stressed ?

That is a lot of changes! Absolutely! Cats are sensitive creatures. Plus if you are working a lot as well and she is in a new home. Try to really spend a lot of time with her if you can. I know that she is withdrawn but do your best. Have you ever tried giving her catnip? Also there is a plugin diffuser or spray called comfort zone or feliway that is supposed to be calming for cats. This might be something to put in the main area of the home to help with anxiety. They also make calming collars but if she is not used to wearing collar it might stress her out more. The could be entirely an environmental issue. Do your best to give her attention and again try the Gerber baby food. Many cats love it. So here are a few ideas....Pepcid, baby food, feliway, catnip, environmental enrichment. Please contact me tomorrow or in the coming days with any questions or concerns. I would love an update.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually just got her a pack of toys today and a few had catnip in them and she seemed to love them, thank you so much for your help I will keep in touch!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, so my kitty actually came down stairs this morning and had a few bites of her food so that is a start right ?

Thanks for the update. That is a good sign. Anything is better than nothing!!! Does she seem to be drinking ok?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
she is drinking water for sure, she still isn’t eating much but she went to the bathroom a little bit and is playing and coming out of hiding a little bit more
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian