Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We have a 2 to 2 1/2 year old guinea pig who seems to be not…

We have a 2...

We have a 2 to 2 1/2 year old guinea pig who seems to be not eating (not even carrots and hay), not drinking, and doesn't run away when we try to pick him up as he usually does. He lives with another male guinea pig who is acting normally. We've just been away for a week vacation...could he be ill or missing us?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name?

Fluffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fluffy?

He is just sitting still and not active, usually scampers away when we pet or try to pick him up. eyes look watery, and is spitting up water.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to asist you.

Is there a runny nose?

Any cough?

How many times did she spit up?

Any wheezing?

Joan

No to all. Not sure how many times he spit up. He has been noticed to pee once today and ate a little bit of carrot.

Generally when we see the spitting up of water it is the result of overgrown back teeth. This can also cause the watery eyes and the inability to comfortably eat. What you can so is give some Critical care for herbivores via syringe right now. Make sure the Guinea pig is getting the daily Vitamin C which is extremely important. Guinea pigs cannot make Vitamin C in the body resulting in scurvy

Make sure plenty of grass hay is available. She will need to be seen by a Vet with Guinea pig experience to make sure to check the teeth and address what isgoing on.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

What can be done about over grown back teeth?

The Vet will take an Xray and schedule a time to trim the teeth. Dental issues in Guinea Pigs is a common problem and an Exotic Vet familiar with Guinea pigs should be able to do it for you. If you need a list of Guine Pig Vets please let me know and I can get you a list.

Joan

I live in London Ontario. Do you have a list for here? Is there remedies for at home to help prevent in the future? Like chewing on something?
What is an estimate cost for X-rays and teeth trimming?

This a list of Vets in Canada: http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=286

As far as price I have no clue, because I in the US here they run $65- $85. The Guinea Pig needs to have chew toys in general as well as hay to chew. Some overgrowth may aslo be a genetic issue.

Joan

Mine have a chew toy on the floor, one that hangs, and a mineral block but both don’t seem to use them. They get hay and a carrot daily plus regular pellet food.
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome! If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Sadly our pet guinea pig passed away the early evening on the day of our online talk. I had even bought Vit C drops on my way home from work. My mom and daughter were caring for him during the day and thought he had improved with a little eating and drinking while held by my daughter. I didn't get a chance to go to the vet.

I am so sorry for the loss. These small animals hide illness and when they do show it, many times it is too late to bring them back. My sincerest condolences.

Joan