Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Our bunny is bleeding from it’s bottom. It’s a female that’s…

Customer Question
Our bunny is bleeding...

Our bunny is bleeding from it’s bottom. It’s a female that’s not spayed. She bled three days ago then just small amounts since. Vet was not helpful - just sent home with antibiotics and antiinflammatories with no suggestions of cause since her vitals were good and she seemed happy. Hmmmmm. Is there a way to send pictures? -Jessica

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bunny?

She’s otherwise very healthy - lots of room to move around, great variety of hay, food and fresh organic greens daily. Clean water . She’s eating, drinking and pooping....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pet
3/20/2018
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Is the blood coming from her anus or her vagina? The difference can be crucial.

What antibiotic was prescribed?

Was the vet you saw a rabbit vet, or a local vet who treats mostly dogs and cats?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your response. I can’t really tell where it’s coming from. Her poops look fairly normal and her anus looked a little inflamed when we took her in, but I can’t tell if her pee is what is red in the litter or not. The vet was an exotic/small animal vet - felt like she just threw some prescriptions at her. But she refuses the cherry flavored antibiotic... she is bleeding less in the past 2 days and demeanor is good, but still concerned.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to look at your pictures now, and will be right back. In the meantime, can you tell me the name of the antibiotic?
Never mind - I just saw it on the photo of the bottle. That's a safe antibiotic.
That looks like quite a lot of blood in the picture. If we don't know where the blo D is coming from, it's hard to know if what the vet did was appropriate. I will give you some information on the possibilities as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. Depending on exactly where it's coming from, several different conditions could be causing it. In an unspayed rabbit, uterine infections and tumors are not uncommon. Both can cause bleeding from the vagina. These conditions often require surgery. Blood in the urine can indicate a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or kidney disease. Antibiotics can help with those. Blood in the feces can be caused by parasites, infection, tumors, straining to defecate, prolapse, and injury. Some of these conditions are serious. Antibiotics can help with infection, but the other conditions require further steps. There are no home remedies, and no first aid measures that will help.

I recommend getting a second opinion. If your rabbit has a condition not caused by infection, she could get sicker without treatment. This site has a directory of rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope your rabbit will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist