Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My dog chewed up a bottle of eye allergy relief (eye drops)

Hello my dog chewed...

Hello my dog chewed up a bottle of eye allergy relief (eye drops)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?

Pretzel 1 yr and 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Pretzel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pretzel?

She just got fixed like 3 weeks ago

3/17/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I will try to help you with Pretzel. Great name! Can you tell me the exact name of the medication that she chewed up, or if you have the box you can take a picture of it...

Ok, I am looking up the ingredients now. Do you have any idea how much she may have ingested? How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs 30 lbs and the bottle was pretty full. Im not sure when or if she ingested it. Ive been gone from 12 to 8. Didnt see any wet spots where the liquid may have spilled. Perhaps it dried
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes being very active at the moment

Ok, thats great. I am going to type up my findings on the ingredients. Just give me a moment.

Ok, so the first ingredient Pheniramine is an antihistamine and not a concern so that is good news!

The Naphazoline can be toxic, but don't panic, I'm going to tell you what to do.

What breed is she?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes like a lab/pit mix.

Ok, thank you.

The Naphazoline is a decongestant, that even in small amounts, can cause vomiting, low heart rate, and low blood pressure.

Here are your options:

1. You can take her now to an emergency clinic to have her heart rate and blood pressure checked and monitored.

or

2. You can monitor for vomiting, and you can check her heart rate periodically to see if it decreases. The normal heart rate of a large breed varies, but if it went below 70 beats per minute I would take her in. You can just feel her chest and count the number of beats per minute.

Other ways to monitor her would be to watch for lethargy and check and make sure her gums are nice and pink and moist.
Let me know how I can help further!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the ingredients were toxic how long till i would see side effects?

Probably within the first few hours

How is she acting right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes calmed down a bit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im trying to count her heartbeat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes wagging her tail
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
playing with the cat

Sounds like shes doing just fine!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im still very worried. I think her heartbeats at lile 68/min thats bad right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems lethargic for moment's

Well, 68 does seem a bit low, but if it was that low I would expect her to be lethargic. 68 is not so low that I would panic, but if thats truly her heart rate, it could indicate some affects of the eye drops.

How is she doing now?

Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems sleepy. And her heart rate is slower i think.

If you do want to take her in, there is a medication that can be given to reverse the effects of the Naphazoline.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its just she seems fine. I just dont know if she is. Its guna cost so much to take her in. Shes sleepy now. I dont know what to do

I totally understand - emergency clinics get so expensive. Has she always been healthy up until now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes in great shape. Im so worried. I feel like shes okay but what if shes not? Shouldnt she be throwing up or have thrown up? Shes laying down eyes closed next to me right now

Yes, we would expect to see vomiting. Did she eat dinner?

The other thing you can do is call the Pet Poison Helpline and see what they advise. It costs $60 or so, but they are the experts on toxicities if you want to see what they say before you decide.

p>
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she ate some of her food and drank water. When will i know if shes okay? 24 hrs? Tmrw morning? Like she wasnt poisoned, when will she be in the clearm

I'm looking up the half life right now.

It looks like this class of drugs has a pretty short half life, so you would be in the clear by morning, likely sooner. :)

Please keep me updated, and please let me know if I can help further!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help

How is she doing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello she seems to be just fine! Eatin and playing like normal. Thank u so much for your help

Thats great news! Let me know if there are any problems, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :)

Sarah Snow

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow