Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I think my dog has seperation anxiety, i cant go anywhere in…

I think my dog has...
I think my dog has seperation anxiety, i cant go anywhere in my house without her and she even cries when i am sitting beside her and wont let her on my lap. what can i do?
3/15/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. Separation anxiety is definitely something we see in dogs and there are some things I can recommend. First though, Can you please tell me how long this behavior has been going on? Has there been any changes to her environment that may be causing her to be more anxious and attached to you, such as recently moving?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she will be 3 in May and shes been doing this most of her life, i must admit there are 3 kids in the house 7,7,6 whom are at school all day so most of the time it is just "Bailey" and me

Okay, got it. If she has been behaving this way for over a year then I am much less likely to think that something is wrong medically with her (like a systemic disease). For behavioral separation anxiety where it has gotten to the point where the pet owner cannot leave the house we need to start desensitizing the pet. To start, if you don't already have a lot of "busy" toys I would purchase 2 or 3. I like the kong treats that you can fill with peanut butter so this takes up 15 minutes of the dog's day. Making sure the pet gets enough exercise and play time each day is essential so they are able to burn up some of their energy. This can be difficult to impossible in the winter months. If she is half ***** ***** Terrier, then she has a ridiculous amount of energy always and you will likely never tire her out completely. But, doing your best to get in a walk and a game of tug of war, etc will help.
Next, you will want to get her used to the idea of you leaving the house. So picking up your car keys and doing everything you normally do right before you leave the house...then don't actually leave the house. This will eventually get her used to the idea that picking up your keys does not always mean she is going to be left alone. Then, you can do all of those steps and actually leave the house, but come back in after 60 seconds. This is the same concept - she will eventually get used to the idea that when you leave you will come right back. The kong toy is helpful to give right as you are walking out the door to distract her.

It does sound like you are at the point where you may want to try a behavioral supplement. This is not a drugs so it is very safe. It does not work in every dog, but it is worth trying. It is called Solliquin and this is the website for additional information: http://www.solliquin.com

Another thing to consider would be getting her into a dog daycare facility 1-2 days per week to help with her anxiety. This obviously has a cost to it and not everyone can bring their dog to daycare, but even 2x/month would likely make a little difference in her behavior.

Chelsea Schwarb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your advice :)

You're welcome. Good luck with her!

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb